We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sinkov

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
warwickshire
Level Contributor
961 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Sinkov

Hi,as you all know where off to dalyan on the 11th sept for a week,im so worried as to what i should put on my skin to protect me from the mozzies im hoping that when we go there wont be so many around am i right in thinking that?also as i suffer with excema and have asthma im not to sure about using the sinkov as reccomended by many,my skin seems to flare up at anytime,and not knowing whats in this potion i dont know what to do,hope someone can help thanks.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sinkov

Try something like Autan, which you can buy anywhere in the UK and test it on yourself before you travel, also Off is another popular brand.

We used to use Autan when living in the Caribbean, and it worked very well.

I know Dalyan is more prone to mosquitos, but I have come across about 2 only in the 5/6 weeks I've stayed here in Göcek so far this summer, I can't think that it's the weather, as it's been very humid of late; it may be due to the fact that the council has taken to regularly spraying the entire village and this has reduced the nuisance.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sinkov

The ingredients of Sinkov are written on the back so that may help. My friend has asthma and the Sinkov didn't trigger any reaction in her, but I guess it depends on how severe your asthma is and what triggers it. Perhaps see if anyone in Dalyan currently can give you the list of ingredients, then see if any are known asthma triggers?

Autan didn't work for a couple staying in our hotel.

The mossies were EVERYWHERE in Dalyan, even during the day.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sinkov

Hi

My son is severly asthmatic and excema sufferer and also seems to attract mozzies like their last meal! last year we read this site and took the advice of taking vitamin B12 for two weeks before (holland & Barret) and during our stay, we also brough some lemon foot balm spray from the body shop and used this as well, also used this as well. No bites and no reaction so worth a try.,

warwickshire
Level Contributor
961 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sinkov

Thanks topsy its a trip to holland and barrat and bodyshop for me then tomz.

dalyan
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sinkov

instead of rubbing sinkov on why not take an antihistamnine? İ live here but still suffer from mosquito friendliness and take a strong antihistamine called fexadyne. then when İ am bitten i dont swell up or itch. Faz - King Emlak

warwickshire
Level Contributor
961 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sinkov

Thanks for reply fazile,i will look into taking some with me can you buy the one you mentioned in most chemists?also would you recommened using any insect repellent if so which one thanks again.

warwickshire
Level Contributor
961 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sinkov

Sorry me again did you mean you take an antihistymne every day to ward of the bites?

nottingham/dalyan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sinkov

I'm pretty sure sinkov is no different from all the other major brands available in the UK, it just has the "its local,therefore it must be better" thing going for it.

My tips - get "tropical strength", DEET 50% minimum, don't go outside from dusk onwards without it, and take it out to reapply if you are going to be out late.

Also use a plug in insect killer in the bedroom, don't open windows with lights on after dark unless you have screens, take antihistanmine tablets if you get bitten, and take some bite cream to apply as well.

Most importantly, do not let it spoil your holiday! most people get a few bites. Just try not to scratch 'em!

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sinkov

I have to disagree with the above poster I'm afraid. We took all the UK produced stuff, Jungle Formula, Avon skin so soft, Autan, Boots after sun with insect reellant, and I used them all!! and we had a plug in doo dah. My friend got bitten 12 times in the first daytime hour after getting off the plane, and it wasn't until we started using Sinkov that the bites stopped. The mossies are definately active during the day tho, as my friend (who mossies love) caught a few mossies sucking her blood while sunbathing by the pool!

Its just my opinion, but we rated Sinkov highly. We also managed to not let the mossie thing take over our hols.

Have a great time

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sinkov

I also disagree with the above. There must be some thing in Sinkov that all the other brands do not have.