We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to Tombs

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
620 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
how to get to Tombs

Hi, can anyone advise how to get to the tombs, i have heard you can walk? And if anyone has done it, how long did it take and was it worth it??

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get to Tombs

Hi taichijones

Have a look a little further down the first Dalyan page at a thread I put up. Excellent answers all and Kaunos looks hot and sweaty but very do-able.

nottingham/dalyan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get to Tombs

There is a path up to the tombs a bit down the road towards Kaunos after you cross the river by row boat. However the large, high tombs are fenced off. You can get to the smaller, lower ones. From there it might be possible to climb up to the big ones but the fact that the main path has been fenced off means you are not really supposed to.

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
620 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get to Tombs

thank you, i shall follow the advice.

Sittingborne
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get to Tombs

We caught the ferry row boat from the towpath, you just turn up and they will take you across,for 3.5 TL. You can walk to Kaunos past the rock tombs in approx 30 mins,when you return for the ferry back, the family have a little openair cafe, but be carefull as we were charged 25 TL for 3 orange drinks and a beer!

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get to Tombs

It's a shame there is no facility on here to consolidate similar threads. On the other one TT said he/she was not comfortable with a rowing boat across the river and I might be the same. Oh well I will get there somehow.

Think on no grave robbing if you actually reach the tombs! Seriously my sister and brother-in-law went to Petra last year on a Red Sea cruise and the old Indiane Jones versions of the buildings were just empty shells. I gather it is the same in Dalyan. So sad.

Sittingborne
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get to Tombs

The rowing boat was fine, just a short distance to other bank and not scary at all!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to get to Tombs

As written above, do not try to clamber up to the tombs. The path is unsafe which is why they have closed the ticket entrance there. Also you although you get a good view of Dalyan town, you do not see much about the tombs as you are below most of them (I went when you could!)

There are two cafes opposite the row boat start point, I often use the right hand one (facing the tombs) and never get charged more than 4TL for excellent and huge pancakes and 3 TL for fresh orange juice. Right now there is a lady selling orange juice in the ruins at the theatre and cold drinks are available at the ticket office of Kaunos

(Entrance 8TL)

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
620 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to get to Tombs

thank you all, as always great advice.

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
620 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how to get to Tombs

P.S : Does anyone know what time the rowing boat stops at night??

bristol UK
Level Contributor
761 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to get to Tombs

well my husband was fine on the rowing boat...but I wasn't!

Depends on your perspective and phobias!