We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loved Dalyan- where next?

cheshire
Level Contributor
326 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Loved Dalyan- where next?

Hi, we loved everything about Dalyan. It was quiet, interesting, plenty to do , good boat trips and excellent food. and we weren't mithered too much. Can anyone advise somewhere similar please? We did like the look of Kalkan, but the transfer put us off.

Any thoughts?

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loved Dalyan- where next?

I agree Dalyan is beautiful, but we think that Turgutreis and Torba (Bodrum Region) are equally as beautiful lots to do, and the Dolmus can take you to other little villages and towns in the blink of an eye.

Plenty of Boat trips from the lovely harbour in Turgutreis, or, go into Bodrum town, and get the ferry across to Kos for the day, or explore the harbour or new marina, Bodrum town is a very busy place, with no beach, excellent little bars and eateries though, and a wonderful bazaar, to shop til you drop.

Turgutreis, offers the most amazing sunsets, beautiful walks, good beaches, good hotels Ai and SC, plus half board etc, a brilliant market, and excellent value for money. The array of bars and restaurants is wonderful, and the friendliness of the locals is fantastic.

Ortakent and Gumusluk are just down the road, and they both have an array of bars and things to do and see.

All in all the Bodrum Region of Turkey, has some wonderful places to visit, fantastic hotels, and the most wonderful scenery.

Transfer into Treis about 75 minutes, into Torba about 35/40 so not too bad.

We have already booked to return for next year.

Happy hunting,

regards

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loved Dalyan- where next?

Hi, I am in the same situation of where next following my first visit to turkey.....i was amazed at what a beautiful country Turkey is - we were staying in olu deniz/hisaronu and really enjoyed it....... i'm not one for going back to the same place but am interested in something similar but different (if that is possible). How would you say turgetries compares with olu?

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loved Dalyan- where next?

Hello

Olu Deniz is one of those places that you fall in love with, and we have visited twice, but we love to try different hotels and different places, because, as you say, Turkey is this amazing country, with so many wonderful places to see. We have been 24 times, but feel that we have only scratched the surface, but, the Bodrum Region just has this air of complete beauty, and I have been completely romanced by the place.

Like I have said in my above posting, Bodrum town is very busy, but offers wonderful sightseeing, good shopping and lots of trips etc:

Turgutreis, is one of those places that just seems to amaze everyone that goes there. If you look on the Turgutreis forums, and what people say about the area, you will see, that there are very few negatives.

In comparison to Olu, Turgutreis is equally as beautiful, and has the best sunset we have ever witnessed, not as touristy, although, the Saturday market, attracts people from all over the Bodrum area, it is massive, a real experience.

Lovely harbour, extremely well priced boat trips, and very well positioned for the local transport to get you to the surrounding towns.

We have already booked to go back, and I am still suffering withdrawal symptoms.........from 4 weeks ago.

I will agree with anyone when they say Turkey is a diverse and beautiful place, but I have found a little piece of paradise, but I am willing to share.

If you would like any hotel recommendations, then please give me a shout.

I have stayed in Torba, Gumbet, and the Peninsula too, so I know a few places, and I know other Turkeyites will give you lots of other choices.

Til next time.

Regards

DLV

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loved Dalyan- where next?

Hi there VC

Kalkan and Kas - a private transfer is tolerable in my opinion, having travelled previously there with Anatolian Sky Holidays. The mini bus stopped at a lovely rest motel half way en route, where you could freshen up and eat so the transfer time seemed less tedious.

Alternatively if you want somewhere really quiet and natural you could fly into Antalya airport then head across to Cirali and Olympos area. Unfortunately a long transfer by bus but special when you reach there. Check out Canmom's flicker photo albums to view the area.

Definitely agree with DLV that towns around Bodrum peninsula are super resorts; I found Ortakent Yahsi non-commercialized and very relaxing. Fly into Bodrum airport.

You might also wish to consider Selimiye or Turunc around the Marmaris peninsula which are reachable from Dalaman airport.

Sitting above Marmaris is quaint Akyaka near the Gokova bay - this catches my eye as a nice holiday destination. There is a lovely Ottoman hotel available with amazing wood carving decoration and you are located close to a river and a longer stroll down to a beach.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,195 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loved Dalyan- where next?

Hi there,

if you likes Dalyan so much and tyou are looking for similar then I can not understand Kalkan as an option as it has no beach, only you could visit the spectacular Kaputas cove, 180 steps down to a small beach.

My suggestion would be either Patara or Olympos/Cirali (fly to Antalya). A longer transfer time should not put you off, that is a shame, the further you get the more original Turkey you will see. Kas is in that way very lovely!

Perhaps even as another option Calis near Fethiye would be nice, Calis is quiet commercial but towards Kargi the beaches are much more deserted, and nothing beats the views from Calis. The beach is wide, but not very deep and it is pebbly though.

Or, if you stayed in Dalyan, and you are not near the beach there you seem not to mind some traveling time to the beach.

Maybe you will like the deserted Greek village Kayaköy, life is very rural, not overtaken by tousists at all (only daytrippers), it has great walks, several small local local beaches very close to you or the commercial beach of Ölüdeniz also within easy reach.

Perhaps having a look at these pictures give a better idea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody

I have several sets easy to be found.

Hope this helps, good luck!

new York
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Loved Dalyan- where next?

Hello-

I am considering two different first trips to Turkey and would appreciate any suggestions since you say you have been to Turkey many times.

Both trips cover many of the same sites but after seeing Troy one travels to Gocek where you board a gulet and then travel to Agi Limani, Lydea and the Baths; to Daalyan, Gemiler Island, Kayakoy and Fethiye- then disembark and continue on to Antalya.

While the other tour includes visits to Pamukkale, Hierapolis, free time in Antalya, Konya, Aspendos, Mevlana Mausoleum, Kaymakle, Cappadocia, Goreme open Market, Ankara, Anatolian Museum and Mausoleum.

Can you possibly recommend which tour might give us a "more enriched"

tour of Turkey. I'm not sure if we should spend the time on the gulet (I'm not a huge boat lover) or would we gain more by visiting more of the other land sites.

I am travelling with my 39 year old daughter and we do quite a bit of travelling. Thank you again for your help.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loved Dalyan- where next?

Hi my preference of course is for the quiet area of Cirali. Unfortuneately most of the areas around Antalya with exception for Cirali and Adrasan are built up tourist resorts.

have a look through my photos;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

as well as more details in the Cirali forums and overview;

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g311312-Cirali_Turki…

Cirali can be reached by car or by public transport.. A transfer from the Antalya airport takes 90 minutes and a dolmus from the Antalya bus station will take about 1.5 hours.

It is a wonderful place for families and the mature traveller.

Cirali ( Çıralı ) is a very lovely and unspoilt area...with Olimpos Roman ruins scattered in a pine forest, a secluded 4km non-touristy beach, fertile fields, and the Chimaera, the world's oldest and best-known natural "eternal flame". Also a natural nesting-ground for caretta caretta (loggerhead turtles).

Cirali is centrally located between Antalya and Kas and you can travel farily easily to visit nearby historical areas.

In Cirali there are ..boat trips, snorkelling, long walks, day trips to nearby Kemer or Kumluca to visit local markets, biking, and of course relaxation...not to mention the historical ruins to explore..plenty to keep ones self busy for a week or two.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loved Dalyan- where next?

knapsackfilled ...I think if you re-post your question again in the Turkey forums or Istanbul forum you will get more replies to your question. As it may get a bit lost here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g293969-i367-o40…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g293974-i368-Ist…

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,195 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loved Dalyan- where next?

Hi knapsackfilled,

both trips are really very different, weven I live in Kayaköy, I would not immediately say do that trip that you visit my lovely deserted village.

I think you should make up your mind by choosing either seeing Turkey from the coast (and the coast is gorgeous) or do a more cultural tour with far more traveling involved and see all the highlights.

If it is a once of a lifetime trip I would recommend the latter, go and see the cultural side. If you prefer to relax on a boat, choose the former.

I do not cover all the bits you mention but of some places I have some shots here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody

Good luck!

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loved Dalyan- where next?

Hiya

I think the trips that villaRhapsody and canmon have given to both the Op and vilecat are wonderful choices, but, I have to agree that although we go into the Antalya region once a year to go to one of the high end ultra AI hotels in either Belek or Side, (lara Beach too) most of the hotels in these regions are geared towards hotels, and unless you do want the travelling round to see all the wonderful historical sites, the areas themselves offer very little outside the hotels, Side being the exception, it has a glorious beach and some good photo opportunities.

We, in our earlier travels to Turkey have done them all, Ephesus, Perge, Kayakoy, which was amazing Aspendos, but we now just go to the lovely places that offer the scenery and walks and of course the local people who stop and have a go at speaking real northern English........lol,

I can only say that with the choices you have been given, you are sure to find an amzing holiday, and the only advise I will give to you is:-

Get booking, because friends of ours have tried this weekend to book 2 hotels within Torba/Turgutreis and changed the dates 3 times, and each date both hotels fully booked.......................

Happy hunting, and please keep us informed on your choices.

Kindest regards

DLV

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations