We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzies

Have booked Asur for May - looking forward to it but been told Mozzies are rife???? They can spot me at 400 yards. Don't want them to spoil my break!!! Are they really bad?

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
620 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzies

im the same, i dont know about May, we went in July/August last year and out of tour party of seven i was the only one bitten, infact one bite was so bad we had to get medical attention (my leg swelled up) HOWEVER i am off to Dalyan again in October, its the only place i have been to that was so good that im going back. BUT this time im going armed, i intead to take percautions that were recommened to me on this forum, eg Garlic tablets before you go, take a strong deet spray. if you type in mozzies, you should see all the past posts, im also going to have a chat to my doctor this time, Whatever you do i promise you will love Dalyan and its people, even with my leg looking like something out of elephant man i had a brill holiday and im sure you will to

Bolton
Level Contributor
283 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzies

We have been to Dalyan many times and different people seem to be affected by Mozzies in different ways.

Last year my wife and I never recived one mozzie bite which was strange as in previous visits we have had a few. We have in the past tried all the remedies/tablets/sprays you tend to read about on forums but by far the best for us anyway has been the one you buy for about £1 in Turkey called "Sin Kov". Not a very nice smell but seems to do the job. We only ever applied it before going out at night and it seemed to work and we will be doing the same this year.

Im sure you will not let the little buggers put you off a fantastic holiday in Dalyan.

Magic B

Bolton
Level Contributor
283 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzies

Hi Again Madge24,

One of the forum Regulars" Raymodo" regularly stays at the Asur and I'm sure when he picks up on your post he will give you his opinion on Mozzies aroud the Asur.

Magic B

Stratford-on-Avon,En...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzies

We went in August last year, have been previous years in July and May.

In the early years when we just started going my sister and I used to get eaten alive, despite the Simkov, but the council seem better these days at spraying down. Simkov has never really worked for me.

Anyway, I probably go over the top these days but I didn't get one bite last year and I think the wristbands (that you get from supermarkets or chemists really helped us, although not attractive, they do work) I also wash in everything lavender, drink lots of tonic water (quinine - they hate it and good excuse for for the gins) and use the Boots Silver spray - as the deet in it is a lot higher. Spray religously in the evening before you go out. Lastly the usual mozzie plug in the room at night.

I have heard if you eat lots of marmite too - before and during your holiday - works too.

All sounds a bit of a drama but you get into the routine and it is worth it for the holiday you get.

My brother did not take precautions last year and he did suffer badly.

If you do get bitten the Stilex Gel that you can get from the Pharmacy is brilliant.

DEVON
Level Contributor
80 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzies

Have stayed at the Asur the last 2 years both times in may and have only been bitten about 3 or 4 times,we used the local repellant Sin kov and had no trouble at all.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzies

I would agree with all above comments, all good. I tend to go overboard really, after being bitten the very first visit. I always bring home an extra bottle of Sinkov and take back with me, while I'm waiting for luggage to come around, no matter what time of day, I spray my arms and legs before venturing outside the airport. I also tend to spray first thing in a morning and then again at night before we go out. The local council have been spraying too in the past couple of years which I think has helped a great deal. Don't forget the plug ins for your room too. Many years ago I used to take Vitamin B1 which tastes lousy but take about 7 or 8 weeks before and the mozzies hate it, very yeasty tasting, but seemed to work. Go well prepared and you will have a fantastic holiday. There are plenty of chemists if you get a reaction to one.

scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzies

Hi - I am using your reply to say a huge thanks to ALL the folks who took the time to reply to my question. I hadn't asked anywhere else but was on Tripadvisor looking for reviews of Asur as I have never been to Turkey before and thought I would use the Forum - WELL - you really no your stuff!!! Thanks for all the good hints and tips! I, too, have been hospitalised with bites and that has put me off travelling. Dalyan looked very 'interesting' - we booked it - then started hearing about the 'enormous' mozzies!! So now I am off to make marmite toast and wash it down with large G&T's (liked that one!) - only jesting! Thanks to all again - I shall sift through the replies and make a list of things to get. Thanks too for the great reviews - looking forward to seeing the places.

england
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mozzies

Hi.Buy Sainsburys own brand non-drowsy anti histamine tablets.Start taking them 7 days before you go and all the holiday. They will lessen any allergic reaction to the bite . I was very poorly in Italy 10 years ago with a bite and an allergic reaction to it.On return my Doc told me about anti histamine tablets and it does work.Had no probs since and even get bitten less !! Also Sainsburys do the cheapest anti histamine tablets by a mile

England
Level Contributor
379 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mozzies

We have been going to Dalyan for the past 12 years and find an evening spray (at sunset) of Sinkov is essential before going out, also we DO NOT wear perfume - they love it! - Dalyan perfume is the only one to use or the lemon spray is also a deterrant. We always carry a spray when going out after dusk. Some years are better than others last year we were there in both May and September and didn't have any problems, perhaps they have them under control now. Don't let them get the better of you and enjoy your visit.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
56 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mozzies

Someone told me that avon skin so soft,slapped on before you go out is very effective and also yeast tablets taken 2 weeks before you go.we got a few bites last sept and we ate by the river most nights!

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations