We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what do you not like??

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
620 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
what do you not like??

We are off to Dalyan again this year, and we are taking about 7 new to Dalyan people with us, they have heard us saying what great people, food, trips ect are but was it all good??

As it was my first time last year, im trying hard to remember what i did not like, which was nothing, however there was a few things that surprised me or got a little on my nerves...

It surprised me that it was more rural than i had imagined, but that was also a good point.

A few times when i was shopping i did wish the shop keepers would leave us alone, most of the time i enjoyed the banter and understand its how they make there sales.

If we stopped outside a restaurant to look at a menu, it did get a pain that we would then have a waiter/manager insisting we come in.

Has anyone else got any moans? Saying that I CANT WAITE UNTILL MY RETURN TO DALYAN

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
772 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what do you not like??

Hmmm, difficult to think about negs.

I suppose you could say that last year we saw a bit more English national team and football club replica shirts. Never a good sign IMO !!

Leeds
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what do you not like??

Can't think of any - the only thing that always grates me when I go to Dalyan is Dalaman airport and the prices! - Take some food and drink with you!

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what do you not like??

Hi,

we are also great fans of Dalyan and all things Turkish. I think that what you are saying has been experienced by all of us 'visitors' at some point. The Turkish are naturally friendly and this can cause confusion to us foreigners and the fact is they don't see any problem with the 'persuasive' sell approach. These are just cultural differences, pure and simple. It may surprise you if you check out this website.

kwintessential.co.uk/articles/…138

It has some interesting facts about what might get on their nerves about us. It includes a few surprises.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what do you not like??

After 12 years of holidaying in Turkey we still don't like the hassle from restaurants. However, Dalyan is the one resort where we have had the least hastle, in some resorts you feel like you are running the gauntlet every evening. We tend to look at menus in the day when you don't get bothered and then just go for it in the evening.

The one thing we don't like is the lack of Turkish music, would love to hear more Turkish pop. Unfortunately this isn't peculiar to Dalyan, a few years ago we asked a barman in Kalkan to play some Tarkan and he informed us that they didn't have any Turkish music.

cheshire
Level Contributor
326 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what do you not like??

Hi, we vivited Turkey for the first time last year and we are returning in June.

I suppose the wine can be on the expensive side. The people selling trips are too pushy and I'm not mad on having to get transport to the beach.

The lack of Turkish music as previously mentioned is a loss.

Apart from that it's perfect!

Enjoy!

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what do you not like??

Loved Dalyan, but had one unpleasant experience. We were in the friday market and while walking past a jewellery stall the lady assistant had put a bracelet on my 8 year old daughter before I could stop her. Of course being 8 my daughter loved it and wanted it! Very underhand and her prices were outrageous. In the end I bartered so hard she had to sell it to us for £1.50. She wasn't impressed, but neither was I at her hijacking my innocent daughter.

I became a bit cynical after this, and a few days later a lovely man tried to put a bracelet on my daughter a s a little gift, and I was quite short with him, thinking he was going to do the same as the market lady. He wasn't, his was a genuine gift and I felt very guilty. Lesson learnt, I tried not to pre-judge after that!

My friends handbag being stolen from her room the day after we left wasn't great either...........

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what do you not like??

I adore Dalyan for its scenic location and the beautiful riverside setting and the tombs lit up at night. And rather than finding the tranport to the beach a bore - I just love taking the boat down through the reeds or the views down from the mountain if you take the dolmus to the other end.

But I too was thinking about music - I hated the loud pumping pop music they were playing last year at the beach bar at the river end - and I think maybe also at the bar at the other end - I am sure they never used to.

And I wasn't too fond either of the bloke with the amplified guitar and mike murdering decent blues and rock music around the different bars and restaurants at night. And a shame that the very old guy at the old jazz bar ("the oldest bar in Dalyan") is no longer there, playing his Billie Holiday records and how you could hear the music drifting along the street.

Stratford-on-Avon,En...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what do you not like??

We stayed at Ozalps last August and must admit had a 'dog' problem. We are dog lovers but it did get out of hand last year. Resort itself not so much of a problem as it has been in previous years - but they did all seeme to congregate around Ozalps in the afternoons/early evening.

Had to resort to a hose pipe a few times as there were a couple of quite nasty fights, which is a bit frightening when you have kids around.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
772 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what do you not like??

All of the above are making relevant points, to a certain extent.

It's really quite a dump isn't it!

: > ))

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: what do you not like??

RabbieQ,

What are you trying to say about people who wear football shirts?

Not all football fans are "lager louts" or "hooligans". Don't tar everyone with the same brush please.

My partner & I will both be wearing our Huddersfield Town shirts with pride again like last year, with the added bonus of us being able to wear our England shirts for when we get to the World Cup Final. (Not that you will know anything about Finals. LOL.)

So, if you are in Dalyan from July 9th-24th and you see someone wearing a Huddersfield Town shirt, say hi.

PS

I haven't heard you moan about people wearing F1 replica tops.

Mighty Terrier

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations