We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

an unexpected piece of mail

bristol
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
an unexpected piece of mail

Hi all

I would like to share a wonderful experience with you all.

while in dalyan this year i was changing some money at the post office at approx10pm one evening, when my wife noticed a young couple who seemed to be in distress so being the good samaritan that she is, she asked if she could help them, they informed her that they had lost all of their money passports etc.. and did not know what to do, it was only their first day of their holiday so you can imagine just how stressed they must have been. Anyway we got talking to them and suggested that they seek out their rep who would be able to advise them as to what to do next. After we bought them some food and i gave them approx £100 to help them out they asked for our address and promised to pay us back, I never expected to hear from them again so until now had forgotten all about it.

I have just opened my mail and low and behold a cheque and a letter from this young couple the cheque is for £200 way more than i gave them. Needless to say i feel rather choked up that a young couple who obviously don`t have much money should feel that they should repay us in such a way.

This has renewed my faith in the youth of today.

I thought that i would share this experience with you all as i have nobody else to share it with until mel gets home later today.

So please if ever you happen upon somebody in distress don`t be afraid to see if you can help, you may not always end up with the positive result that we have, but hopefully you will have at least helped somebody in a worse off possition than yourselves.

Andy

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: an unexpected piece of mail

We are all so wary of scams and the like when on holiday(understandably) that sometimes we overlook a genuine case of distress.

A tale with such a nice ending really does restore one's faith doesn't it?

As the old adage goes"there but for the Grace....."Good on you and good on them.I hope they see this.☺

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: an unexpected piece of mail

nice one ! .... what goes around, comes around, eh .. now you can go down Tescos and get yourself some Efes :)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: an unexpected piece of mail

Yes Lara,you're right what goes around does come around.Andy;you got your money kindly returned plus extra,why not spread the good karma a little further?Suzan at the Dalyan Animal Rescue centre could do a lot with that extra you received...just a thought☺

bristol
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: an unexpected piece of mail

sarikanarya

Mel has just suggested exactly that, we are going again next year so will make a nice donation while we are there.

essex
Level Contributor
583 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: an unexpected piece of mail

that is so really nice of you and your wife and the young couple, they were very lucky to have met you 2

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
629 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: an unexpected piece of mail

This brought a tear to my eye, how lucky the young couple must have felt to come across a couple like you; and how nice it must be for you to have your kindness repayed, well done you both.

Yorkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: an unexpected piece of mail

WOW!! what a wonderful example of human kindness, it warms the heart to hear something like this. A case of reaping what we sow eh!!

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: an unexpected piece of mail

hi andymel

i am in pieces reading this, it took me 5 attempts to read it to mary,

there are many bad people in this world but when a good one comes up them it all seems worth while.

we would love to meet you both one day and the drinks would defo be on us

i know you dont want praise but you will definately deserve it.

and the kids you helped are very special also

barry and mary

bristol
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: an unexpected piece of mail

Thanks to you all for your kind words, but i would like to think that if a situation like this happened to my own daughter that someone would help her out too.

I must admit that i did feel so sorry for them as the young girl was so distressed.

I would imagine that there are plenty of good people about who would do the same. we are not well off but always take a little extra money just in case.

Again thank you for your kind words

Andy

London
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: an unexpected piece of mail

ditto, if my daughter was stuck I too would hope the same. Not everyone can lose their money and just rely on credit cards or the extra they have squirrelled away. If you do have such backup, whilst undeniably irritating, annoying and expensive is hopefully just that. To be on a hard worked for holiday and to lose it all must seem like the end of the world. Thankfully you guys were there.

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan