We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

Just in case anyone is fooled - the old Calypso Hotel which was closed down at the end of last season has appeared in my Travel One Brochure named "the Hotel Riverside (formerly Calypso)". There is no mention of it having been refurbished - which we were told it was going to be - it being the main reason for it closing down. The furniture in the rooms was badly in need of repair and it was very basic. The pool is not heated and was freezing cold even on the hottest day. I did have a good time there though, but that was due to the company more than the hotel.

Yorkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

I'm pleased to see that Travel One are still offering a hotel for single travellers, however, I'm not sure what you mean about 'anyone being fooled'.

I'ts been mentioned previously on the forum that the Calypso is changing it's name to the hotel Riverside and most travel companies advertising this hotel are very clear in their description in saying this hotel was previously named the Calypso. As for the refurb, I suppose it could be one of those 'wait and see jobs' from someone who's been early in the season - alternatively (if I was thinking of booking this hotel) - I'd pick up the telephone and ask the travel company.

Leeds
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

I have spoken to the Travelone office about the "new" Riverside as I am contemplating going there in September.

I spoke of my concern re the way their (Travelone) guests appear to have been treated whilst staying at the Calypso towards the end of it's lease. If the awfulI reviews on trip advisor are to be believed travelone through it's perminent representitive( who will be representing Travelone in 2011) did little to improve the the lot of their Hotel guests

they told me that the hotel was under new management.There was no mention of any improvements or refurbishment to the renamed hotel.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 11:34
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

What I mean by "being fooled" is that don't think it is going to be better because it has a new name. I would not go back there, but then that is just my opinion. I would be happy to go to another hotel in Dalyan - nearer the centre of the town - but not to this hotel, it is just too much on the basic side for me. I think I got off quite lucky with doors hanging off cabinets, torn light shades and a rock hard bed. Some of the rooms had no working showers for nearly the whole week. The rooms are kept tidy by the staff and they are generous with clean towels, the staff are friendly and the food is so so, but I felt I couldn't relax in the room because of the shabiness of everything. There are better hotels at not much more cost in the town, I know because I had a good look , but if you want to have a Travel One holiday then you will have to go here because it's the only hotel in Dalyan they use. I will certainly go on another Travel One holiday as the people were great, but not to Dalyan while they are still using this hotel.

Yorkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

Hi Minday, I think It's a shame you don't want to return to Dalyan given your Travel One experience there. Perhaps you could consider still going and booking elsewhere, after all, lots of single travellers still go without this tour operator and have a wonderful time. I would like to think you can still find what you want without this tour company and still have a wonderful time in Dalyan. Good Luck!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
5. Re: Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

Does anyone have any photos either boefore of after refurb as I've just booked to go in july?

Thanks

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

This is the website www.dalyanriverside.net - sent to me by the new manager. They seem to have kept quite a lot from the old calypso website. The new manager used to work at the hotel behind the bar and in the restaurant for the last few years, but as his father owns the land is now the manager.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

I can see that these pictures were taken last July so nothing seems to have changed. The room is one of the nicer ones and they have added some flowers and put an extra rug on the floor. It is basically fine, but definitely no frills or luxury. The might've got new furniture for the rooms and replaced the mattresses, you never know. The guy who worked behind the bar was really nice and so were all the Turkish staff - it was just old smokin' Joe the travel rep that was glum. Hopefully they'll also have solved the dog problem, those animals were scary - snapping and barking at everyone and it doesn't help that folk around the pool feed and stroke them encouraging them to come back. The noise died down a bit when they darted the female and took her away - but only after several people were nearly bitten. That was another thing I forgot put me off Dalyn - the dogs are everywhere and if you are a bit nervous of passing packs of dogs it can be a nightmare. It's sad to see them in the condition they're in, along with the skinny little kittens. To sum up, I loved Dalyan, the hotel was ok, the Travel One people I met were great but the wildlife problem needs to be sorted.

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
114 reviews
8. Re: Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

I have just read these comments, & I know we can all tell a different tale, but my holiday there was great, perhaps I was lucky with my room, but I did not see any real problems. Yes its basic, but it was clean, & I thought the food was good. I have had a lot worse in more expensive hotels.

Considering you nearly always pay more for a double room for single use, I think it works out well.

I would go again, if only for the location. I love sitting on the Platform watching the River Traffic.

Leeds
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

There have been many coments about this place as the "Calypso". I've been twice with "Travelone" and at the price, didn't expect anything more than basic.. The food was acceptable and the situation is good not "the next thing to heaven"as described but OK. If It's a singles holiday you want then this place with any singles travel company would be fine as it it is the mix of singles who create the atmosphere.

I do believe that this hotel would be better suited as a "Singles only" hotel and not deal through a singles travel company....I will await the views of .visitors to the RIVERSIDE befrore deciding if I will return in this year.

Bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
10. Re: Calypso Hotel renamed Hotel Riverside

If you want the best dont go but if your chilled its fab most lovely lovely setting staff great and just down the yellow brick road fab bar were you fed turtles

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan