We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Postcard from Dalyan

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Postcard from Dalyan

I fully intended to write this whilst in Dalyan (returned on Saturday) but couldn't bear to waste any time especially towards the end of the holiday when every second is precious! This was our 3rd visit to Dalyan and perhaps like most I don't tend to post - I just start reading the forum when the flights are booked and by the time we go am fully conversed in everything, such is the wealth of information & knowledge on here. We travelled with Jet 2 who were excellent as always, hand luggage was weighed on outward trip only, inbound the flight was delayed 6 hours but we were informed over 24 hours before by text message & told to check their website which meant we had plenty of time to change our transfer (Resort Hoppa - great service 2 stops & no charge for amendment - £24 for 2 return) resulting in an unexpected extra night in Dalyan - result! First week was spent with friends who do not walk so good so stayed at the Metin - cheap & cheerful & very central (will review separately) 2nd week a little more upmarket at the Kilim (sublime! - will review separately). This holiday we took notice of a recommendation on the forum of the Turkish baths at the Sahin on 1st day - bliss - they will come & pick you up at your accommodation & deliver you back - 15 lira pp definitely works to speed up the tan. The weather in Dalyan was unseasonably hot for about 4 days - 40+ but calmed down to mid 30's by the time we left. Mosquitos are definitely down in numbers - they love me & I only got a small bite on the ankle - we were told locally that they are spending time in the winter working on destroying larvae, but these have been replaced by wasps & hornets - hundreds of them, especially on the beaches - I was stung twice and the swellings are horrendous - something to bear in mind if you have ever had an allergic reaction. The bar & shop owners said the season has been very quiet - until the end of Ramadan - this is followed by 9 days of Turkish holidays & apparently Dalyan has never been so busy. Ramadan starts 10 days earlier every year & an English woman we talked to living there for 17 years had never seen anything like it, the roads, beaches & hotels are chock a block - I will definitely avoid this period in the future. We visited the Jazz Club for the first time - a lovely setting - but the live singer wasn't the best, our favourite bar pre & post dinner was the Sunray (walking out with the river on your right last bar blue fairy lights on tree to right of Ottaman Bar) really doesn't look much but well worth it when you venture in, glorious river decking & comfy squashy sofas, best mojitos (along with salted popcorn given with drinks) in town & good duo singing from 10pm every night, usually with a session from other singers/musician on the night. Eefes can still be found for 4 liras in little Turkish places, 5 liras in most places & 6 liras in bars with music & some hotels. Albatross also charges 6 liras (poss because they have the best nibbles in town) but there is a horrible guy on the till barking orders & the wine is sold by the thimble full so we stopped going here. Our best boat trip was with Ali Ozalp (stumbled on him by accident heading for the public beach one day & he gave us a lift) we did the Bacardi beach trip twice with him - sail up the river to the sea, turtle watching & opportunity to buy blue crab, 2 stops for swimming, barbecue on the deserted beach - fresh whole fish or chicken cooked over stones, salads & bread, Eefes/soft drinks/water/wine available - we never paid more than 95 lira (little over £30 for 2), on the sail home fresh fruit is served - perfect days..... As another poster has mentioned we tend to go back to the original Dalyan family places, you know they will always be there next year, our favourites are the Eefes bar (Yasmin will never forget a customers name and is very good at reserving seats for football games!), Sovli Gozleme - if you haven't found this place yet you need to, great shady place for lunch, they have also just opened 9 new villas opposite - not noticeable from the riverside path - but they are stunning & best of both worlds they have a shared pool & pool bar & prices very reasonable, Can (son of owners) is marrying the daughter (Buket) of another of our favourites - the Tolga Pension. Another place we stumbled on by accident (aren't they sometimes the best!) this was the first pension in Dalyan - they have basic rooms & riverside access opposite the tombs - but the food is out of this world. No menu but pop in the morning before you want to eat & tell them which fish or meat you would like - turn up & be fed until you are stuffed. Its not the cheapest meal (around 100 lira for 2 including mezes/meat or fish & usually a little dessert & including wine/beer) but it must be the best location directly opposite the lit up tombs (although admittedly they are a bit elusive & tend to move around). I am going to have to sign off here as I'm getting a little depressed thinking its going to be another 9 months before I get to sample any of this again! Happy holidays to those of you who are about to travel..... PS we did seek out Jimmy No Name - one day when hubby fancied English breakfast - I had the best omelette ever & English breakfast went down very well - I won't get involved in the dispute obviously going on - but the overwhelming conclusion is not to underestimate the power of Trip Advisor - we were even told some restaurants had laptops on the tables for diners to post restaurant reviews! (although never actually saw it)

Yorkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Postcard from Dalyan

Wow!!, that was more like a 'broadsheet' than a postcard. Thanks for sharing your holiday experience. I feel time is against me replying to all the topics you mentioned, except for the wasp situation. I personally think these are worse than the mozzies, especially for children. Look forward to reading your reviews.....

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Postcard from Dalyan

Hi,

Wow, that was a lot to take in ! Glad you did so much and enjoyed it. I had one question about the wasps. Were they at the boat or dolmus end of the beach, or both ends ?

Look forward to your further posts and reviews.

Cheers,

Mx.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Postcard from Dalyan

Fantastic review, that really got my juices flowing. One more day to work and I'm for the off! Tolga, is that up near the Kilim, it has all the beautiful bougainvillea outside. Also thanks for the warning about the wasps. As much as I love going to the beach it really puts me off, they're always buzzing around and I agree the stings can be quite painful. Looking forward to reading your further reviews.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Postcard from Dalyan

Enjoyed reading your report! What is the name of the pension where you had the good meal - and I wasn't sure just what was "elusive and move around" - the pension? the tombs? or am I missing something else here!!

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Postcard from Dalyan

Sorry for waffling - I could have gone on & on!! Wasps were on Dolmus end & Bacardi beach - it prob was my fault I got stung - 1 landed down my bikini top hence the sting on the thumb trying to remove it in a panic - the other sting on my leg - it was on my towell & I rolled on it!. Tolga pension is opposite Kilim hotel past the last of the restaurants (Safran etc) round bend past camp site Kilim on your left & Tolga bit further up on right. Tombs are elusive - if you are in the Sunray bar they are to your right - but if you are further up the river to the left they are straight ahead - optical illusion - bit like the island off Benidorm!

Edited: 13 September 2011, 10:56
West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Postcard from Dalyan

Great review, glad you had a wonderful time.

Regarding the insect life, mozzie numbers are definitely down this year. I had no bites until the very last day of my hols then bam.... about 10 bites on my shoulders and back! The little blighters obviously waited 'til they knew I was due to go home! Admittedly I don't use any deterrent though; I don't like the thought of deet or any other nasty chemicals seeping into my skin. Wasp and hornet numbers are up but when we went to the beach we just plonked ourselves down well away from any of the eateries or bins so for us it wasn't a problem.

I totally understand your comments about the power of Trip Advisor and know who voiced their deepest concerns to you! I would suggest to anyone leaving a review to be honest, considerate and measured, and to look at the "whole book", not just the "front page". That's not to say that constructive criticism should be avoided as the whole point of a review is to give the wider audience an insight as to quality and service etc of an establishment. Unfortunately, it also seems to me that some of the restaurants in Dalyan are almost competing for the "top spot", (athough for understandable reasons) and that's rather unfair, especially for all the establishments that are either not in the main restaurant areas, or do not push people into leaving inflated reviews.

You must have been in Dalyan at the same time as me; the heat until Thursday was overwhelming! Looking forward to hearing your next reviews.

:-)

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Postcard from Dalyan

Thanks a good report :) ... I too though the mozzies weren't a problem either this year, now I know why. Very intresing about the Resort Hoppa, as we just paid £70 return for 3 peeps.....do you have more info please on this service so I can bookmark for future....cheers. I love the way bar owners like Yasmine etc remember us, our 4th year having just been, it really makes you feel at home. Even taxi drivers etc remember...that's what I love about this small resort.

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Postcard from Dalyan

lara, the resort hoppa website is:

http://www.resorthoppa.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Postcard from Dalyan

Thanks NextMrsFisher - clear as ditchwater now!!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Postcard from Dalyan

Thanks MNF,

Good to know that the wasps hav'nt taken over the boat end of the beach. They have been particularly bad at the dolmus end this time of year - for the last few years.

cheers,

Mx.

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations