We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dalyan or somewhere else?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Dalyan or somewhere else?

Hi,

we holiday in Altinkum each summer and during our stay usually take a mini trip somewhere else for 2-3 nights.In the past we've visited Kos,Bodrum,Gumusluk,Kusadasi and Selcuk.

This year we are thinking of Dalyan.Good choice or would people recommend some place else along that stretch of coast,Marmaris,Icmeler,Gocek,Fethiye?

We have two young kids, 7 and 5.We will drive ourselves from Altinkum, I'm guessing the trip to this area is roughly 3-4 hours?Looking for nice restaurants,scenic surrounds and good hotel or apartments.

All tips and suggestions gratefully accepted from any of you who know this part of Turkey.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dalyan or somewhere else?

Hi

Dalyan is a fantastic choice for your mini-trip. The only regret you'll have is that you didn't stay longer! Your children are a great age for taking on a boat trip, especially if you go to the mud baths; they'll love it! The boat trip to the beach is fantastic, passing through beautiful reedbeds whilst looking out for kingfishers etc. The scenery is beautiful, restaurants are plentiful and cater for every taste, there are lots of good hotels and apartments and a lively Saturday market is quite entertaining. Dalyan has a good vibe and the people are really friendly - restaurant frontmen are not as pushy as other resorts. I couldn't possibly write down all the reasons for coming to Dalyan so you'll just have to find out for yourself! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's very different from the other resorts you mention; Gocek is in a beautiful bay with a pretty harbour - great to visit for a day or to take a boat trip from - but not a great deal to do there, Fethiye has a lovely harbour, a big fish market and lots of shops but is a big (working) town, Marmaris is akin to Blackpool though I've heard Icmeler is nice. Sorry, can't help you with travel times but I'm sure someone else will. Good luck :-)

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dalyan or somewhere else?

Dalyan, although lovely, is a very long way from Altinkum, especially with 2 young kids in tow!

england
Level Contributor
542 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dalyan or somewhere else?

love2roam is correct Marmaris is akin to Blackpool (not to some i might add) and Gocek is nice we are going to have an overnight stay there sometime. Icemeler is nice and a lot busier than Dalyan but has nice flower lined canals and a nice beach but can be very noisy at night, i have been there many times a lot of years ago. Turunc is very nice and the journey over the mountains to get there is stunning and is a pretty small village with a nice harbour front. Your young children would love the fishing trips and turtle spotting from Dalyan harbour and has said the mud baths are fun. The main street at night gets pedestrianised so it is safe for children and a few restaurants do have childrens areas to play or the square by the mosque where all the locals go with there children at night with nice restaurants too. Hope you have a lovely time where ever you choose

Edited: 13 January 2012, 10:21
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dalyan or somewhere else?

Thanks for the advice guys, Dalyan sounds great.nursecarol, I hear you.My kids are already somewhat used to car journeys though as their grandparents live on the west coast of Ireland, some three hours.from us in Dublin and we go back and forth a fair bit.We would take ample breaks during the drive for lunch, a bit of a stroll,sightsee,etc.

Can anyone confirm exactly how long the drive to Dalyan is?

congleton, United...
Level Contributor
742 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dalyan or somewhere else?

Altinkum - Dalyan

Approx 220km 4hrs drive on a good day.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dalyan or somewhere else?

Hi margaritaville,

Of the places your considering, my vote would definitely be with dalyan!!! It offers something for the whole family and the kids would love a day out on the lake by boat!

It would make it even better if your flights back to dublin were from dalaman as this is only 30 mins from dalyan and means you'd only be doing the four hour drive once!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dalyan or somewhere else?

We fly in and out of Izmir!We have three weeks though and hence the mini trip idea.We have a property in Altinkum but like to explore other parts of Turkey while out for our main summer holiday.Waiting for the kids to get a bit older before we do Istanbul.

Now I'm thinking we could break the drive to Dalyan with an overnight somewhere on the way there or back.??

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dalyan or somewhere else?

Not many places for a night stop along the way. For instance, Akyaka is 160km from Altinkum but only 60km short of Dalyan. The rest of the time you'll be on an inland road with few possibilities and none of them are tourist destinations as such. I'd go for doing it in one hit, with a lunch stop along the way - maybe 5+ hours altogether with breaks

9. Re: Dalyan or somewhere else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations