We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photographic ID

glasgow scotland
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Photographic ID

I read somewhere recently that by law you should carry photographic ID at all times when in Turkey. I have visited Turkey several times and never heard of this. Is this actually the case?

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
772 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photographic ID

First I've heard of any such suggestion, Kooks.

nottingham/dalyan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photographic ID

I think technically you should, the Turks always seem to have their ID cards on them, but I doubt they worry about it with tourists. I've never heard of anybody being asked to produce anything.

glasgow scotland
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Photographic ID

Thanks guys.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photographic ID

Strictly speaking yes,it is true.So if you don't wish to carry your passport(understandable)then you should at least have a photo copy of it with you.

If you are stopped by the security forces and they ask for identification you are obliged by law to provide it whether Turk or foreign visitor.

Allah korusun,but in case of an accident/incident this could also prove useful to the authorities........

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photographic ID

"It is illegal not to carry some form of photographic ID in Turkey. It is therefore advisable to carry a photocopy of your passport with you at all times. "

fco.gov.uk/en/…lawsCustoms

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
glasgow scotland
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Photographic ID

Thank you so much. Glad I enquired further. Off to do some photocopying!

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photographic ID

Always better safe than sorry, Kookywooky.

What amazes me about some tourists in Turkey is that they rent a moped/scooter/quadbike without knowing the licensing laws and probably not wearing a helmet - all sorts of things can go wrong: not being insured and breaking the law without even knowing it. I don't really blame the rental people, it's definitely "buyer beware" over there.

Turkey has very similar regulations to the UK - direct.gov.uk/en/…DG_4022547 - which is especially applicable to young people with newer licences who only have a car licence - basically they can't ride anything.

Please excuse the rant.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photographic ID

Definetly not too many Efes.....but I saw loads of kids driving motorcycles and I sware they we only about 10 ys :0

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photographic ID

Yes, technically you should carry ID with you but I have never done so. I was with some Turkish friends once when their car was stopped by the police. They all had to show their ID cards and they did ask for mine but I said I was a tourist so they told me it was ok..

My husband always carries his Turkish ID with him though.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photographic ID

I'm pretty sure 99% of tourists would have no idea they were supposed to carry photographic ID at all times.

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan