We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex
Level Contributor
719 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Snakes

Im really sorry but I have to ask another question.

I have seen on some here that some people have seen snakes in the river. This has kept me awake half the night worrying about this!!

What are the chances of me seeing one on the path, at the beach or in my hotel (keskin) or if Im walking into town. Seriously freaking out now!!! I could handle them in the river as I just wont look at the water and could look straight ahead but if its on land then thats another matter. Thanks

MM

nottingham/dalyan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snakes

I've only ever seen them in the river, and only a couple of times over the years. Not sure what type they are but I'm told they're not dangerous.

West Yorks
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snakes

Mrs Magoo please don't worry about snakes! You see them occasionally in the river (as Tidus says - not dangerous) and over in Caunos. But they are much more frightened of you than you are of them and they quickly disappear. Your chances of encountering one on the path, near the hotel or beach are negligible. I know several people who have lived in Dalyan for years and who have only see snakes a few times. Enjoy your holiday and relax :-)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
430 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snakes

We have seen a couple of dead snakes and one alive - in the road. We had hired a car for a couple of days and were heading out of town down passed Migros. The vibration of the car was enough to make it dash off under cover and out of our way. Luckily, they don't want anything to do with us. I am more freaked by the cockroaches!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snakes

Yes Mrs Magoo, I am in agreement with L2R and Tidus on this one, the river snakes live purely in the water and only pose a threat to the fish, so do not be afraid, we did encounter a snake in the garden last year but this was the first time in many years of visiting and as L2R says it was more frightened of us (and the cat that was taunting it!) than we were of it, as long as you do not go walking across areas of long grass/ vegetation with unsuitable footwear you are highly unlikely to come to harm. You are much more likely to come across hedgehogs and tortoises during your travels. Just enjoy your holiday and do not worry!

Mx

Scotland
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snakes

Oh dear know how you feel Mrs Magoo! My heart skipped when I saw your question. I would die of fright if I saw a snake. I certainly wont be jumping into the river at the mudbaths! and I always avoid walking over rocky, grassy areas. Please just try not to think of them and enjoy your holiday

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
620 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snakes

only time i saw a snake was july last year when a mother stork was feeding it to her young??

essex
Level Contributor
719 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snakes

Thank you for all your replies. Lol@taichijones. Just the thought of it makes me sick!! I definately wont be walking through any grass areas and may even take some wellies and stamp my feet everywhere I go to frighten them off!!!!lol!!

Of all the places in all the world I could have booked a holiday it would happen to be riddled with snakes, I cant believe my luck. However, as long as they stick to their area and I stick to mine then Ill be quite content. as for theyre more scared of me then I am of them.....I doubt it,lol!!

MM

Edited: 03 April 2012, 13:31
nottingham/dalyan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snakes

There are very few warm places in the world without snakes! My parents live in cambridgshire, and a snake took us residence in their garden. It ate most of the fish in Dad's pond.

London, United...
Level Contributor
420 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snakes

Mrs Magoo,

In the words of Micheal Winner "calm down dear".

We have stayed at Keskin & Ala turka, and have only ever seen 1 water snake, a little black thing with its head out the water, looked like a stick, it was well hidden, you would'nt know it was there....not sure that helps...

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snakes

Mrs magoo...

'riddled with snakes' that made me laugh out loud ;)

Dalyan is definitely not riddled with snakes...in fact, I've been going there since 2003 and bought a property there 3 years ago and have only ever seen one small river snake whilst getting the boat to the beach a few years ago!

I've also seen snakes in the UK, America, Spain and Greece :)

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations