We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money

Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Changing money

Hi,

I'm off to the Hotel Binlik in a couple of weeks, can anyone tell me whether I can change my money at the hotel or should I do it before I go?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Binlik Hotel
Binlik Hotel
448 Reviews
Dalyan, Turkey
nottingham/dalyan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing money

Generally hotels don't change money, you exchange at one of several places - the post office, the bank, or one of a couple of other places like Aksoy jewellers. You can change at home but you'll get a slightly better rate on arrival.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing money

hi sue

we always use aksoy's jewellers, you see the rate [177 when we were there] no commission so no calculations. and no queue's.simple. dont worry about atm's also.

barry and mary

Yorkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing money

I agree, good to know exactly what you're getting for your money...and the jewellery's fab too...think barry had a finger slip and meant 2.77 though :-)

Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing money

Thank you :-)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing money

Hi

At last I have got on the correct page? Can you help please. We are struggling to find the best way of bringing our holiday money! Last year we had travellers cheques which was a disaster. We are looking at a Thomas Cook Cash Passport? Would Askoy's exchange using that? How about the PTT? Or any other suggestions would be greatly received we arrive in 2 weeks.

Thanks

Jean M

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing money

I bring Sterling and change it at the PTT / bank or Aksoy jewellers. Debit card is also good with plenty of ATMs in Dalyan. I don't bother bringing much if any TL from the UK, and don't change money at Dalaman airport. Travellers cheques are almost useless, and TC will want their 'cut'.

Top right hand corner of this page for top questions...inc money change advice.

Enjoy Dalyan. :)

Edited: 11 August 2013, 20:33
Mentioned in this post
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing money

Many thanks for your advice

Jean:)

dorset
Level Contributor
564 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing money

Hello. If you would like to have a prepaid card, the Caxton fx one is better value than Thomas Cook (it is one fo the ones recommended on MoneySavingExpert.com). You can get one that you load up in Sterling before you go. You then use it in the ATM to withdraw TL.

PS You have to check the rate, but the ones offered by hotels are usually the worst!

Edited: 13 August 2013, 14:21
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing money

Hi

Thanks for this advice Can you use Caxton to withdraw TL at PTT as well?

Regards

Jean

dorset
Level Contributor
564 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing money

It acts like a debit card. So you can do anything you would do with a debit card!

You probably can withdraw cash at the PTT (though I haven't tried this). Don't you want to use the ATM?

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan