We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

Hi, is there going to be anything open when I go? Shops, restaurants, bars etc and does anyone know if any boat trips will be going on. Got such a good price on flights we booked before thinking properly 😊

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
620 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

My daughter went to live in Dalyan for nearly 4 months in April this year, most places were open, and you will probably get good deals on any boat trips!

enjoy

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
748 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

You will be fine . Might be a few places not open but what the heck you got the deal ! Enjoy .

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
704 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

I suppose this depends if you want an honest answer or an answer off someone who goes now and again, me.....I would say change your flight! It rains, it's cold, the sea is too cold to swim in so no point doing a boat trip, pools won;t be filled, season starts 15th May, some bars open most not, you will need heating not AC. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but I have done 5 Aprils in Dalyan(not through choice) and I wouldn't do it again!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
704 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

Unless of course you like cold and rain then go for it......sorry just being very honest!

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

Hi tillie. I've been to Dalyan in February and April. There are a few restaurants open all year round and these tend to be the more authentic Turkish restaurants. Evenings can be quite cosy around a log fire and the waiters have more time to talk to you. Weather wise it really is hit or miss. You might get a few downpours, but then again when the sun comes out it can be t-shirt weather (even in February!). If it rains a lot it can feel cold and damp indoors so make the most of things like the hammam, shopping (there's a few shops open), trips to Fethiye or Gocek etc. If the weather is good and you like walking, April is perfect for exploring Kaunos and there are wild flowers in abundance. Pools are very cold, as is the sea so maybe you'd want to give thenm a miss - though pools will usually be made available if you ask - maybe at an extra cost. Boat trips are not generally running in April but if you're prepared to pay for a private trip I'm sure you'll get one! Personally I think early spring time can be a lovely time to visit as long as you are realistic when it comes to weather, and are flexible in what you can do. It's all down to expectations. If you can, see it as a second holiday and enjoy! :-)

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

Hi tillie,

You will be ok. Weather can be a bit mixed at this time of year tho....but it has not put me off from booking mid April and also mid May, for quickie 10 day visits 2013. There are plenty of eating places open.... some are open all year round anyway, and have log fires inside for evening meals. I have visited in January - 20C plus daytime, 7C evenings, enough places open so I did'nt starve.

The pubic boat to the beach may not be running yet, and obviously the sea temp will not be as pleasant as later in the season. But you will have plenty of offers of private boat trips.... so haggle your price, and don't be afraid to walk away ! ! There is always another boatman further along.

Sorry...got to put little person to bed now...

Cheers,Mx.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

tille,,i too have booked forApril albeit 3 weeks later than you, but i went in April 4 years ago and was not disapointed, as Vonone says it wont be like end MAY/JUNE weather but will have a charm of its own as said by MURDOMAN its cosy in the restaurants with the log fires burning, and Robtt said make the most of it ,and enjoy Vic x

Slough, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

I go every April and the odd downpours and cold nights don't put me off. I have eaten outside in the evening and then moved inside the restaurant to sit by the log fire when the temperature drops.

There are always boat captains around to offer trips at good prices, although, as everyone has already said, the sea and lake will be too cold for swimming.

It's a great time for walking, without the searing heat of the summer months.

It's the Easter holidays at the beginning of April, so there will be other people around and where there are visitors, the locals will provide what is wanted!

Keep to those dates and enjoy!

Yorkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

Hi tillie

I've never been in April but have visited the last week in March. The weather can be a bit mixed, but we had some great sunny days and I absolutely loved the peace and quiet. There were enough (for us) bars and restaurants open, and everyone was very welcoming...

The boat to the beach wasn't running, but we managed to go by dolmus.... which is ok if you don't mind being told when they'll return for you as there isn't the normal regular service...it was a bit chilly on the beach, and the snack cabin was closed...but we sort of knew that would be the case so weren't bothered by it...

Personally I'd stick with what you've booked, and hope you'll enjoy what will be a very different Dalyan experience..

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just booked to go April 3rd 2013 have I made a mistake?

hi tillie

firstly i have to say thats there's never a bad time to visit dalyan, infact this quiet, peaceful time of the year is exactly what some people want.

but if this is your first time to dalyan is this what you want from your holiday or would you want to visit the fully up and running Dalyan ???

barry and mary

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations