We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

We're going to Club Alla Turca, hb arriving late on october 8th. I'm getting so excited now, despite the 4 days out of 7 thunderstorms, showers predicted on the weather report .. we normally go camping, we're used to rain ;0)

I've been trawling this forum and trying to absorb all the info i.e take £10 for the airport, change my money at the post office or jewelllers in Dalyan, yesil, ozalp or the olive lounge for boat trips etc

A couple of questions - hoping to have a spa treatment on the first day, is there anywhere to leave your purse at the sahin or the bc spa ? Hopefully it's done in private and not in front of an audience ? Not sure everyones ready to witness my wobbly belly ;p

I'm assuming that the big market is on mondays, so we will miss it the first week as we will be in flight and returning home the following monday. What time do the boat trips get back from the market and is it not that bad a thing to miss it anyway?

We only have a small spending budget ( damn cars and vet bill making it even smaller !! ) What things would you recommend that we shouldn't miss. We are definately doing the mud bath and thermal springs and massage. Are there any nice places to walk or anything in general that's free / inexpensive ? Is there a dolmus ride out that you would recommend, I'm assuming that dolmus travel is fairly cheap ? Thanks in advance, Deb x

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

Ooops I forgot to ask about the mozzie spray, where is the nearest place I can buy it, mozzies love me unfortunately.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

Hi Deb

A quick reply as using my pesky iPhone!!

Market is on Saturday do you won't miss it and you'll be sure to get a bargain or ten.

Don't miss lunch / drink at Sevgi Gozleme, a riverpath bar / cafe with stunning mountain and river views, a pretty inexpensive way to while away a couple of hours.

Buy sinkov or off, the local mossie sprays which you can buy from virtually every shop, supermarket or chemist.

Have a drink at The Jazz Bar and listen to live jazz and also try Sunray too, most bars are fine with you having just a couple of drinks, generally no pressure!!

Try to have at least one evening meal at Beyaz Gul opposite the rock tombs, beautifully lit up at night and not to be missed. Hope this helps. CG x

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
620 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

The Sahin has lockers that you can leave your clothes ect in, we have had other people in with us, but never bothered us, maybe you can ask them when it would be quite, so you can go in yourself.

The market is on Saturday, it’s worth a morning wonder around, trying the fruit, pancakes, ECT.

The boat trip to the beach is a lovely relaxing trip, and not expensive, then you can walk the beach to the Dolmus end, or the other way round- I look forward to this trip every year.

Also go to the dolmus stop in Dalyan and see what trips they have on that day, they advertise the prices as well.

You can also eat cheaply from the donner kebab places, don’t be put off by the look of these places, and the food is NOTHING like the kebab shops in this country, my mouth is watering by the thought of it.

You can buy the local mossie spray, everywhere, its called sinkof (not sure of spelling) also if you’re sitting in a pub, or having food, ask the waiters if they have any mossie spray, they usually do.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

Thankyou both xx

pancakes and kebabs, I'm dribbling

I'm so looking forward to our holiday, I feel like booking next year before I've even been this year and I really really wish I'd booked a longer holiday, there's seems to be so much to see and do.

Will the sea be warmish, unlike moi, my husband is the other end of the weight scale and feels the cold. I'm determined to have a swim with him somewhere !

A few more questions, do they sell cider in the bars and do they do hubba bubbas or whatever they're called ? Neither of us are beer drinkers but we may just try this Efes that everyone seems to talk about :)

Thanks again x

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

No, no, no Deb.

Have an efes but do try the strawberry daiquiri at The Jazz Bar, you are a southern lady after all!!

Agree about the kebabs, we like Bulent opposite the mosque, 12tl for chicken kebab, chips and a drink, very yum indeed!! CG x

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

Strawberry daiquiri is more my cup of tea indeed :) I like the sound of the Jazz bar ;) x

solihull
Level Contributor
530 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

Deb,Dalyan is good for budget holiday.No prob.a few tips.EFFES in cans for drinky in appartment is about £1.10,avoid bottles of wine in restaurants,eating mezees can be inexpensive,however stick to vegetables.See Taffy at Ali Babas off main street opposite Mosque will look after you.Say you are a friend of Mandy.Stick to Dolmus where you can.Cheap.Try the local soup in local restaurants,called chorba with free bread.Pancackes in local pancake houses are a couple of quid.Loads of walks too,plenty across other side of river,with birdwatching and great views.Dalyan is beautiful and you dont need loadsamoney to cherish the vibe.Do what the locals do and eat where they do,oh and try the racki.!!!All tips from my student days.Enjoy and relax.Its not a posers place!!!!!EFFES is a nice drink too,and washes the chilli salad down nicely.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

Enjoy your holiday Deb! The sea will be lovely and warm in October - having had all summer to heat up!

The taxi boat trip down the river is a delight - beautiful scenery and so relaxing! You could get the old lady to row you across the river to the ruins at Kaunos on the other side too - there is a small admission charge.

bolton
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

Hi deb, I think Leon's bar do home made cider , if that's any use. I think it's just up from the Pop Inn toward the roundabout with the Turtle statue. A tiny frontage but lots of room inside. I'm sure the more seasoned Dalyanites could give you a more accurate location. If you want a nice peaceful cheap place to chill during the day, try the public park, it's along the edge of the river-walk,near the rowing boats that ferry you across the river. There is a pergola with four tables under it, right by the waters edge and overlooking the rock tombs. Absolutely beautiful. And cheap. I'm sure you'll love Dalyan.

Wales
Level Contributor
234 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Dalyan, first holiday abroad for over 10 years

Hi There,

my sister and hubby joined us for part of our holiday, they were on a tightish budget so- I took a small pot of salt and a sharp knife along with some small food bags in my case. Bought fresh bread from the supermarket, just check before you buy that it was delivered that morning ( sometimes still warm). Bought cheese triangles from Migros the night before. Tomatoes from grocers . Oh, also took some crisps in our suitcase.

Bread = .70K

Big water x 2= .50k each from big supermarket ( should be no more than 1TL each)

Tomatoes = 1TL ( taste nothing like ours, lovely)

Cheese = 1.65TL

Boat to beach = 10TL for two singles.

Walk to bus end of beach.

Sunbeds x 2 plus brolly = 9TL

Bus back = 8TL for two.

Total cost for fantastic day at the beach with a lovely fresh lunch under 32TL . The exchange rate was around 2.83 TL to the £ at the time.

Have a fantastic time.

Sarah x

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations