We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

...seem to be very important. But please just bear with me for a moment with my off-beat Dalyan holiday thoughts. I do admit to being somewhat verbally clumsy, and sometimes have great difficulty in putting anything into words.

But I do think it is more important to highlight how a marked inbalance of standards of living... in any country, can then have a dire effect on that country's people, and also really seriously p*** off the people who benefit very little.from tourism etc:

The growers and producers of all that really nice stuff that gets cooked for us in Dalyan, may see very little profit for their very hard work. So, unless the money filters down to raise their standard of living...

...well you can guess what will happen. people wishing to incite trouble will take advantage of that dissatisfaction for their own ends!

Wow, I almost thought that I had gone completely off the holiday topic there. But I didn't did I? These are the very simple and obvious basic truths....that will affect our future visits to Dalyan and Turkey

Mx.

Ps. I now have three countries and peoples in my heart..Turkey, Cuba and Gambia.

South Shields...
Level Contributor
340 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

Well said murdoman. I too feel for the Turkish people, and with the same principles in mind posted a topic on the sarigerme forum a while ago highlighting the benefit to the local people of visiting the village, for tourists staying at the all inclusives such as holiday village and Hilton. You would not like have liked to have been witness to a conversation I had at work yesterday. It went like this -

Me - I'm going back to turkey in August, can't wait

Manager - I don't fancy turkey

Me - oh, why?

Manager - well isn't it full of Turkish people, urgh!

Hmm, well after that I think he knew not to air his opinions in front of me again put it that way.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

...to be honest, lovesarigerme ....that was pretty much my opinion of turkey before i had been there. even the name 'turkey' just sounded so unappealing and it was a place i had never even thought of going to. 11 years ago we went to the canaries for the last time which was due to the euro being introduced and prices not just rising a little here and there, but seeming as though every shop, restaurant and bar and found a new '0' button on their calculators to add to the end of every price....the following year, we asked the travel agent for somewhere that wasnt in the euro and were prettymuch down to 2 options in the end, turkey and bulgaria. having opted for turkey, we booked and then waited for our holiday to come around. it wasnt until we were on the plane that i admitted to mrs. clown that i was actually dreading turkey and that i was sure i wouldnt like it....to which she replied that she was too, and had not said anything incase it spoiled MY holiday.

needless to say, this year will be our eleventh in turkey, we havent been anywhere else since...and i have to admit that for once (and please dont tell mrs. clown i admitted this)....i was wrong

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

Well said MM - I'm intrigued to know why Cuba (I hated it) and Gambia (I LOVE it) are now also in your heart....I have noticed that several people who have a summer holiday in Dalyan have a winter one in The Gambia (and that's just the ones that post on TA forums!) there must be something about the 2 places that get into your soul!

Edited: 05 June 2013, 07:49
Wales, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

15 years we went on a package trip to Alayna and didn't like it at all - 4.5hour coach trip to hotel, loads of hassle from restaurants owners and I remember Alayna as a concrete jungle. We didn't go back until someone told us it wasn't always all like that and introduced me to Tapestry. We got a late availability offer to Akyaka in a villa (Terra Incognita now with Exclusive Escapes) - 10 years ago and we were hooked. Buying fresh fruit and veg from markets in Mugla and Akyaka, lovely restaurants in Akyaka and the Bozborun peninsula, peace, quiet, sun, our own space for an affordable price. We went in one day from Mugla where I felt slightly uncomfy wearing a sun dress (now I cover my shoulders with a scarf) to Marmaris where I spotted a lady wearing a bikini in the Main Street with no one batting an eye. What we like is that we can see the sights, get nice meals, yet are not far from 'real,' uncommercial Turkey , not tourist or processed - it offers different choice to the tourist

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
400 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

Quote 'Well said MM - I'm intrigued to know why Cuba (I hated it)'

We have visited Dalyan on three occasions and are booked again for Sept. I also cannot understand your love of Cuba MM. Having visited there in April, I have never been to any destination where the local population appear to have an operating principal to rip off and short change visitors to the greatest extent possible. Even the Cadecas were not to be trusted

I found it an entirely different experience to Dalyan

Edited: 05 June 2013, 08:17
solihull
Level Contributor
530 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

Nice interesting thoughts on Gambia,however would urge degree of caution with this country.Had a couple of bad experiences whilst visiting.It is not I feel the complete safe haven of Dalyan.Hawkers,a few drugs,very very poor people,and I mean poor,child poverty,no street lighting and really bad roads kind of we're a bit too much for me.But each to their own.Dalyan still for me every time.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

Interesting thoughts indeed Murdo and very deep for this time of the morning ;)

The Gambia is on our list but haven't made it there yet. We absolutely loved Cuba though! We found it a fascinating place (especially Havana) and enjoyed some interesting chats with friendly locals about capitalism and how controlled each aspect of their lives is! I like to think Turkey is a long way from that...

Sel

Edited: 05 June 2013, 08:44
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

"how controlled each aspect of their lives is! I like to think Turkey is a long way from that"

Not if Erdogan gets his way (see Instanbul protests). ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

Maybe that is the point MM was wanting to make Sel - a creeping authoritarianism - to call it one way.

Edited: 05 June 2013, 09:53
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OK, I know that the price Courgette and Tomatoes may not....

Unfortunately, I think that is exactly the point Murdo was trying to make Attagul and Davidm1 :(

Sel

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations