We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private boat trip report

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Private boat trip report

We have already in the past done normal boat trips to islands. They squeeze minimum of 15 on a boat, previously we had to get a minivan to the beautiful harbour at Gocek. this time we didn't want that or to be stuck with a mix of strangers, fighting for the sun deck, blaring music or boring pasta salad from tupperwear tubs swarmed with flies. Last time we couldn't wait to get off the boats and found places like poo island.....sorry I mean pancake island far from scenic. We wanted to try something a little more memorable.....and that we got :) .... Totally fantastic !!

We hired our own boat just for the 5 of us which we boarded just down the road and he took us away from the regular tourist traps to beautiful coves and caves for snorkelling. His wife's food was all homemade, cheese rolls,meatballs, stuffed peppers, green bead salad etc and BBQ .....it was divine.

Our Catpain Volkan was born and breed in Dalyan, so nice to give our money to a local grafter. His English was great and he was very knowledgeable. He spent time crab fishing with my son and was able to answer all our questions. Once out to sea we turned right and went along the beautiful Ekincik coast, we stopped at the caves and arched rocks where we snorkelled at our own leisure.....not having to worry about being called back in....it was our time for the day at our pace. Ekincik village and Semisce Bays. Bays where the water was so clear you could perfectly see sea urchins and the blue crabs doing there thing. Although my son and husband love crab and lobster plus the BBQ was still hot....I promise you this crab was safely return to the fabulous waters :)

We only saw 3 other boats our size on the whole trip, being away from the other tourist trap islands was heavenly. At one point we were anchored next to the Lemon Lounge and we were the exact same size and style, in fact we probably had more walking space as part of theirs is taken up with a curved serving bar in one corner. Highlight of it for me as if it couldn't get any better anyway :) was that he took us to the boat/jetty on the way back in, where they clean and gut the fish and crab ready for selling. a man had a line with crab on and got one of the loggerhead turtles up and in the area for us. It was fantastic watching him keep coming up and grabbing and crunching and biting the crab off the line.....for me, it blew me away. I have some great video footage but YouTube won't open for me here to upload.

Volkan even dropped us right to our door on Riverside Houses own jetty.......we had 7 beautiful hours aboard "Yazyeli" (summer breeze) with our wonderful hosts. Hubby returned from the bakers this morning and saw Volkan docked at his usual spot along the little Prince Of Kanuos strip of the harbour. Yayyyyyyy, hubby has booked us again for next Wednesday going to Bakardi Bay but a shorter 10 till 2 trip.....can't wait !!!!!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
499 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private boat trip report

I'm not sure they should be feeding the turtles! But the rest sounds idilic x

solihull
Level Contributor
530 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private boat trip report

Lovely report.Thank you.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private boat trip report

These private boat trips sound great but there are only 4 of us(2 couples) so it seems it would be far to expensive :-(

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private boat trip report

It's not as expensive as people imagine......check it out next time.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private boat trip report

Next time is in 13 days lol

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
620 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private boat trip report

do you mind telling how much you were for private hire, trying to wok out if we can afford a private trip this year.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private boat trip report

Thanks for your report lara, the boat trip sounds absolutely fantastic.

The olive/lemon lounge boats are beautiful...we had a lovely trip with them in May and are booked on a moonlight cruise in September...but I quite often say on this forum that the most amazing private trips can be arranged just be wandering down to the riverfront and speaking directly with the boat owners.

There is nothing quite like having your very own boat and captain for the day, choosing exactly where you want to go and how long to stop in each place etc. I bet with 4 of you on a small boat, you could haggle for a price around the same as you'd pay for a shared trip on the OL/LL!

Sel

Edited: 01 August 2013, 19:24
Kinghorn, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private boat trip report

Hi Lara, I would like to know the cost too please, as I would love to do something similar but there is only the 2 of us and it could be far too expensive.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private boat trip report

For the 7 hour trip we paid 400TL for the 5 of us. I don't even know how much the lemon lounge is to be honest. We had the same nice padded seats, lovely tiled modern toilet, fresh lovely clean boat. So at under £30 each we though for the service and priviledge is was great. We choose to give him a very good tip ontop also as it exceeded any expectations we had.. Compared to entry prices for Tower of London or The Shard etc I though this was brilliant for a whole day of memories that will certainly last. He and his wife were really lovely, provided excellent yet relaxed service.

For the up coming 4 hour trip to Barkardi Bay we have agreed 300TL......which again suits us fine. Because a short trip we said not to worry for his wife to cook this time......as we'll be getting back at 2 we can go to a riverside place we get off.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private boat trip report

Is Volcan the owners of the Asena Hotel ?

bobbie

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan