We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tree fall at mosque cafe

edinburgh
Level Contributor
21 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Tree fall at mosque cafe

Incident in the square at the mosque tonight. Huge branch came of tree and fell through the tables towards the mosque. From what I know only 1 person in injured but I do not know how seriously. Mosque ok but damage to kiosk for cafe. 2 hours later after jcb worked and loaded debris into a truck all seems ok

Slough, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tree fall at mosque cafe

I saw 2 people taken to hospital but it would have been so much worse if the huge branch had fallen the other way across the tables.

The sound of the branch falling caused all the men to race into the square leaving restaurants abandoned! I've never seen so much speed and activity!

The Jandarma were enjoying the task of keeping people back - probably their biggest job since the Fun Pub incidents last year.

I feel sorry Husseiyn the owner of the tea garden - he works so hard. Fortunately his young grandaughter who is usually in the area where the branch fell was not there last night.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tree fall at mosque cafe

I have witnessed a substantial branch fall off one of the trees nearby. It too landed across tables of a restaurant. This could easily have killed anyone, had they had been sitting there. Luckily it was early and diners were not at the tables. This happened several years back. Me and mrsman are always a bit dubious about sitting under these trees after seeing this.

Yorkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tree fall at mosque cafe

This is so lucky that no one was badly hurt, especially considering the number of families with children who visit the kiosk café and park area.....it doesn't bear thinking about the tragedy and damage that could've been caused :-((

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tree fall at mosque cafe

I agree totally denzilly. Let's hope the tree will now be assessed by tree surgeons, and hope that those carried off in ambulances don't have severe injuries. One of the most frightening experiences of my life was driving along a road a few summers ago, hearing one hell of a crack followed by a crashing noise- and watching as my entire rear-view mirror filled with green. A mature sycamore (40/ 50ft tall?) had fallen, just as I'd passed it, and completely blocked the road behind me. If I'd been just 2 seconds slower ... it doesn't bear thinking about. Very scary.

Slough, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tree fall at mosque cafe

The tree has been cut back and looks fairly safe. The damaged parts of the cafe have been replaced including a new ice cream freezer (the old one was half flattened). I've just walked past the tea garden and it is back to its usual busyness. You would never know a nesr catastrophe had happened.

holland
Level Contributor
181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tree fall at mosque cafe

That tree by the mosque is dying look at the amount of dead wood in the tree,it is much worse if you compare it to last year.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tree fall at mosque cafe

Oh my goodness, just catching up on the latest in Dalyan and I see this! Sounds like It could so easily have been much worse and I hope the few that were taken to hospital have only minor injuries.

Sel

Newcastle
Level Contributor
570 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tree fall at mosque cafe

I hope that the local tree surgeon has checked all the trees around the area,can you imagine the childrens play area !!!!! it doesn't bare thinking about.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 10:28
edinburgh
Level Contributor
21 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tree fall at mosque cafe

The tree at the mosque was the big main one. It has a plate on it saying 1612 years. Real shame to see it getting attacked with a chain saw.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tree fall at mosque cafe

It really was a horrendous thing to witness, so glad that nobody was seriously injured .

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations