We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you tip a hotel barman?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Do you tip a hotel barman?

Just wondered if anyone leaves a tip for the hotel barman. We pay the bill when we want at the reception but the pool barman has looked after us so much. Just wondered if this was the right thing to do ? If so how much would be reasonable?

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you tip a hotel barman?

Absolutely, if you think he has done his job well. There may be a tips box on the bar or if not just hand it to him. As for how much that is up to you and how often you drank at the bar, I think I would give maybe £10 for each week but that is just my rough guess and I could be well out on what is a good tip ;)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you tip a hotel barman?

That's one thing I don't like about Turkey , the damn tip-box that's everywhere - at reception , in the dining room , on the boat , at the bar , in the dolmus , in the toilets , everywhere !

I personally find it quite offensive , it's no better than a beggar's hat really.

You do not need a tip-box in your face to show your appreciation. I have only seen such boxes in Turkey.

The only people who do not have a tip-box but are deserving of a lot of tips and appreciation , for me anyway , are the cleaning ladies.

Not a rant , but just an observation and an opinion.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you tip a hotel barman?

I agree with KediYavrusu. Hotel and restaurant staff are often paid very little and tips make a huge difference to their basic wage. If you are happy with service, show it with a few pounds at the end of your stay. What is just a few quid to us goes a long way in Turkey. :-)

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
774 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you tip a hotel barman?

When we stayed in Olu four years ago had a chat to young lad behind bar .commented he never seemed to have a day off during our stay.in fact he had no time off at all and no pay. He survived on tips and free board. His bed was under the bar...I saw it ! The main thing was he had his stamp paid and that is seemingly really important to the young .After the season ended he was going to do his conscription . I am not sure how bad this was and he just had a bad employer or it is the norm in Turkey. We gave him a good tip needless to say.

On tips we always leave a good tip for the cleaners in the bedroom. We tend to tip direct rather than into the tip box .

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you tip a hotel barman?

That's a good point robtt - you don't know who gets the tips from a tip box and some employers are more greedy than others... I agree about tipping the cleaners too. I remember 20+ years ago being advised to tip the room maid at our hotel in Luxor. We were told £1 was sufficient as the average wage was something like £5 or £6 per month. Well, our room maid was such a lovely girl, who arranged my necklaces (lying around on a table) into love hearts and paired up my earrings etc. At the end of our stay we gave her £5 - and she burst into tears, she was so grateful. It was £5 well spent, knowing we'd possibly taken her out of poverty for a short while. You should never under-estimate just how much service sector workers rely on tips in some countries. Even in the UK, 16 and 17 year olds working weekends/evenings earn a pittance (currently £3.72 per hour) . My daughter waited on tables every Sunday for 3 years before going to uni, and relied on tips to get a decent wage at the end of the day so I always make sure I leave a little something for working teenagers too. :-)

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
774 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you tip a hotel barman?

Agree with love2roam.My step daughter has spent summer working in a country pub in North Yorkshire.Serving on and behind bar . Real tourist spot. She got minimum wage and % of tips. Amazing how generous / mean people are .As an example , she spent one evening chasing round a table of 12 young yuppie southerners . They spent a fortune at bar and on food . Bill over £400 and they left her a tip of £4 ! Laughed as they left it on table. But that was an exception and most left in or around 10% .Oh and to the young yuppie southerners on here. She bears you no ill will.

One other thing a lovely old lady once told me to give a tip when you arrive so you always get good service during your stay....not a bad idea when you think about it.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you tip a hotel barman?

<<<Bill over £400 and they left her a tip of £4 ! Laughed as they left it on table. But that was an exception and most left in or around 10%<<<

that tip should have been around 40 £ and not 4£'s

I have found that tipping is a very north american thing and more visitors from those countries tend to tip and tip better..whereas guests from european countries tend to tip less or nothing at all

but yes the staff do appreciate the tips they do get ..the tip box is a very fair way to share the tips with all the staff..dont forget that these tips are also shared with cooks, kitchen staff and dishwashers..all these people make your holiday run smoother too..

This is a good website that gives you a guide to tipping in Turkey

turkeytravelplanner.com/details/…Tipping.html

dont forget that when you check out you can leave a tip for all the staff ( if you wish - and that is why the tip box is there ) as they have served you breakfast, perhaps even lunch and dinner at the hotel, made drinks etc.. and also have cleaned your room in the time that you have stayed at the hotel

here is a question; If you where on a 2 week holiday at a hotel and ate and drank at the hotel almost everyday what kind of tips you would leave ?

here is an interesting article

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100779529

lifehacker.com/5814420/how-much-to-tip-by-co…

PS..coming from North america myself I have seen plenty of places with tip boxes and not just in Turkey

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you tip a hotel barman?

here is some more useful info

wittistanbul.com/magazine/…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293969-s606/Turkey:T…

tripadvisor.co.uk/…50806870

in a hotel or restaurant I would tip anything between 10-15%, depending on the service & food .. . some restaurants provide a better service & food than others. If you're not happy with the service you receive, then don't tip them. Most hotels, bars ,restaurants have a tip box there is no rule and it is not something you must do but the staff DO APPRECIATE it if you do..they feel that they have done their job well. the seasonal staff are not necessarily paid big wages so tips do help them

The hotel workers typically work VERY long hours with few if any days off.

Tipping in Restaurants in Turkey

Tipping in restaurants is actually up to service you get. If you are happy with the foods, service and atmosphere in general you can tip to waiter 10% of the total bill.

Tips in restaurants in Turkey are shared among the waiters so you can also leave your tip to the tip boxes which mostly stands in a central visible place of the restaurant.

The biggest income of the bell boys are based on the tips they get so it is necessary to tip bell boys who help you to carry your bags. 5 to 10 Tl will be enough in general for the porters.

If you are also satisfied from room cleaning you can also tip at the end of your holiday

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you tip a hotel barman?

I find it quite sad that people can say that bar workers aren't deserving of tips.

My husband was a bar worker for years in Turkey, both in hotels and bars. He depended on people's generosity with tips to bump up low wages. He worked up to 16 hours a day for 6 months without a day off and he had to be happy at work all the time whilst serving people. It's the same with all the workers and to me they all deserve a tip, I know I couldn't work those hours and still be cheerful!

For anyone who is interested the way the tip box works is that all tips are pooled together and then divided amongst all the staff, that way those who work behind the scenes, in the kitchen for example get a share too. Normally if you leave a tip at the end of the dag they pop it in the box but I'm if you want one particular person to have it then give it to him on his own and say it is just for him.

Thankfully a lot of people are generous enough to leave a tip and you can be assured they are very well received by the workers.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you tip a hotel barman?

KediYavrusu in principle the tip box is a good idea and I do hope it works that way in Turkey; I suspect it probably does and it's a fair means of distribution. But I do have a problem with the idea of tip boxes in the UK since I found out that a local restaurant owner keeps all the tips put in the box in his restaurant (placed strategically next to the till)! I discovered this through a friend who waited on tables for several months there, and was absolutely appalled - especially as this particular restaurant is very popular and the owner drives around in a Jag! No doubt paid for by all those tips...

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations