We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

The Prologue:

Our Jet2 flight from Leeds/Bradford arrived just 20 mins behind schedule at about 9.45pm.

Legroom good, onboard drink prices a bit steep and, just a random thought, but when did the word 'pop' replace the word 'put' in the English language amongst cabin crew? "can you 'pop' your tray down?" "can you 'pop' your seatbelt on?" etc.

Anyhew, we had booked a private transfer with Shutlledirect (£40 return) and as the visa/passport queues were quite light we had soon collected our suitcase and were quickly heading down the ramp in search of our driver.

We eventually located him and in no time at all we were hurtling down the dual carriageway towards Dalyan and we arrived at our hotel ' The Donmez' just before 11pm.

I'll post a full review of the hotel in the hotel review section but considering we only paid about £12 a night for the 2 of us B&B it was ok although sleep quality wasn't great thanks to the neighbouring gang of dogs that would stage barking competitions between 1-3am every night followed by the call to prayer which could be heard loud and clear about 4.30-5am.

We dumped our cases and went straight across the road to Temsi restaurant for a bite to eat and our first Efes of the holiday.

Service was prompt and friendly and the free bread and Meze were delicious as was my wifes Chicken Scnitzel but my Moussaka wasn't great and was obviously pan fried rather than baked and distinctly lacking in sauce and cheese though to be fair we probably caught them on the hop a bit turning up so late for food.

After Temsi we went for a wander up and down the streets to try and get our bearings a bit and eventually found ourselves outside Leons Bar where we stopped for a nightcap.

There did seem to be a lot more bars/restaurants than we remembered from our previous look at Dalyan which was a day trip from Olu Deniz about 5 years ago.but we both had a good vibe about the place and went to bed looking forward to the next 9 days.

What we did:

Well, if we hadn't planned anything specific the days tended to pan out as: breakfast, couple of hours by the pool, bit of a wander round here and there, then lunch and a beer or 2, Tezcan Hotel pool for a couple of hours (really nice pool, poolside bar, and great views of the river and hills through the palm trees) then Turtle Inn for an early evening beer as the sun went down.

Shower, change, couple of duty free drinks on the room balcony then out for drinks and dinner.

We did take the dolmus to Ortaca and had a look around the market there and went to the local market where we haggled a T shirt for our baby grandson down from 60ytl to 15 ytl (and we still paid about 10ytl too much but hey the stall holders have to make a living)

We went to Caunos, which is well worth a visit, not just to visit the ruins but to witness the 'battle of the old ladies' as they try to entice customers into their respective cafes to await the return row boat.

We went to the beach via dolmus and got the boat back, and we took the Marmaris dolmus to Akyaka which is fairly quiet, very popular with the Turkish, and seemed an ideal place to go if you just wanted a low key chill out for a week.

I'll post reviews of specific bars/restaurants along with some general musings later as additions to this thread.

Al

Edited: 20 September 2013, 21:34
Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

Good start. But try the onion bhajis and dips at Temsi...and then tell me its an off night!!! :)

Edited: 20 September 2013, 22:33
West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

Enjoyed reading your report ClaretAI. I haven't been to Temsi yet but will no doubt get round to it one day. I can't believe they gave you a starting price of 60TL for a baby t-shirt at Ortaca market! Talk about cheek; that must have been a try on. Good for you for haggling them right down. Would like to take a trip to Akyaka in the next year or so. Are there any hotels etc there? Looking forward to reading the next part. :-)

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

We only noticed a couple of hotels at Akyaka L2R, it seemed to be mainly apartments and pension type accommodation and there was a woodland.area towards the back of the resort which seemed to have what looked like log cabins.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

Hmm. Yeah, starting price of 60TL...they must have thought you had just fallen off a plane or summit. You have dried behind your ears before you came out havn't you?

Enjoy! :)

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

hi all

hi AL. me and m think "can you pop your tray down is a more friendlier than "put your tray down" sorry just our opinion. it seems you had a great time and it was very nice to meet you both

barry and mary

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

Thanks....nice report....has made me feel I should jump on buses and explore more....cheers

Newcastle
Level Contributor
570 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

ClaretAl was it easy to go to Akyaka on the Dolmus,do you just let the driver know when you want off ???

I would like to visit next year.

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

Cassaragi

Yes it was very easy to get to Akyaka.

The Marmaris dolmus goes on a Thursday and you have to book and pay the day before (35 TL pp return) with the guy who sits at the little table outside the office at the main dolmus stop in Dalyan.

Just tell him you want to go to Akyaka and he gives you a ticket and he tells the driver the next day that you want dropping at Akyaka and the driver arranges what time he will pick you up (we got picked up to come back at about 5.15 at the same spot he dropped us off)

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

Hi Barry and Mary

No need to apologize, it's probably just one of my little quirks ;-))

It was very good to meet you both as well, hope you had a great holiday

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st holiday in Dalyan - A trip report

The foody bit:

We tried these places for lunch, this is what we thought with ratings out of 5, (my wife invariably plumped for a chicken sandwich by the way, I tried one or 2 different things):-

Saray Allatonion - nice lamachun, good chicken butty, pleasant chat with the Turkish/Irish Robbie Williams look alike server 4/5

Prince Caunos - nice views, terribly slow service, no chicken sandwich on the menu so Mrs ClaretAl just had chips, tasted like they had been cooked in seawater-, I had a chicken pancake, very bland

1/5 (and that's for the Efes only being 6tl)

Ramazan Han (twice)- average service, didn't seem to want to chat even though very few customers in-excellent spicy Menemen and chicken sandwich though - 4/5,

Palmyra - nice views, reasonable service, large Efes 6.5 tl, hot/cold sandwiches were advertised as 7tl-I chose tuna, my wife chose.., go on, hazard a wild guess. They were ok but served on sub rolls rather than the delicious baguette style bread-when the bill arrived they had charged 9tl for each sandwich.

When i queried this the waiter explained that the 7tl sandwiches were only cheese, egg or luncheon meat and they had actually given us a discount off the tuna salad and chicken salad prices of 12tl as we had it on bread-I thought there were one or 2 tiny flaws in his reasoning but I couldn't be bothered to argue...2/5

The cafe on Iztuzu beach - self service, Efes 7tl-chicken kebab in a wrap 6tl- not bad at all for a place that has a captive audience..3/5

Jimmys no name - I asked if they did Lamachun and the guy said they didn't but if we didn't mind waiting a few minutes he could get some sent in from their other restaurant (which I later found out was The Turtle Inn).

It took longer than a few minutes but we weren't in a hurry and lingered over a couple of Efes-the lamachun was worth waiting for and my wife enjoyed her sandwich -4/5

I'll be back with some night-time restaurant reviews later..

Edited: 22 September 2013, 09:34
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan