We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip report...a delight

Ross-on-Wye, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
291 reviews
Save Topic
First trip report...a delight

if John Milton had visited Dalyan would he ever have written ' Paradise Lost' !!

I am staring through French windows at the maelstrom weather in Wales, my mind is meandering to the magisterial pine clad mountains enshrouding Iztuzu beach, the stillness of the early tranquil swim before the breeze' glitters ' you with sand! (Sorry it is time for my medication)

Despite the accommodation problem that blighted our stay(see thread on Disastrous Start), I have now vented my spleen on Trip Adviser so now it is time to concentrate on the very positive and lovely time we had in Dalyan.

There are not many places where in the middle of a working town you can be just seconds away from chill out zones with beautiful views but Dalyan was exactly like that

Fair play to Thos Cook we arrived before schedule from Cardiff with enough leg room to swing an air hostess in and additionally both transfers through A2B via Panda Tours were seamless and very cheap even though one driver is just behind Sebastien Vettel in the Fromula 1 Championship!!

We did three Boat trips ( very cheap ) Dalyan Day Trip,Moonlight and 12 islands plus took the boat to Krogiesk Market and all were very pleasant and photogenic ( unlike me!).

As far as eating out is concerned I think it is fair to say that it was a pleasure not because the food is outstanding but is very well presented,very well served and very well priced. I can't help feeling that if you are eating the usual Shish ,Adana or Kofta that you are just as likely to eat better kebaps at a litte kebap house or cafe as we did on one occasion at a fraction of the cost but eating out on holiday is as much about time consumption as food consumption so ambience in a decent venue is important .

Top restaurant by a long chalk was Lime in terms of presentation and food with Kervan

and Bistro Clou a distant second.Had no real dissapointments although Sini was overhyped by a front man who went to Smarm rather than Charm school.

My quest for filter coffee was no challenge as Digbys , Cafe Yummy ( owner kept sprinkling me with cologne , I think she thought I smelt like a monkey's wedding!! and Dalyan Iz a gem of a place that provided a civilised tranquility within a short distance of the Saturday Market but also solved any ideas for presents to take home. Chatted to the lady owner for half an hour and also managed to speak to Kaptain June for 3/4 hour at the shack. The only problem I had with the Turtle Hospital is that it was like looking in the mirror!

Lest I forget ,and little things matter ( so I tell my wife!!) Filtre Coffee in in Cafe Smyrna is accompanied by malteesers ,chocolate fingers and biscuits..never had such generosity.

Much as I tried at varying costs ,I could not find a decent red wine but after about six glasses I had lost my taste buds anyway!

The Wild Boar Party was quite sedate , the wild boar in particular looked a bit crestfallen. Mezzes were the best and the evening interesting with a slightly pretentious explique by Volkan on Turkish Music .They were excellent hosts but Volkan then announces he is leaving Dalyan and his wife for a couple of years which tended to dampen matters somewhat.My thanks to Sel for letting me bend her ear, metaphorically speaking .I do not want people too think that I go to Wild Boar parties just to physically twist someone's ear . Met Scouser, Bobbie and co who was very Efesvescent but somehow managed not to meet Murdo .

I have been in the past a bit of a Grecophile but this part of Turkey has completely turned me and the people so much more friendly ,the service attentive and better organised for he tourist in general.

We make it a rule not to go back and trips to Viet Nam and France already sorted for next year but I have a feeling this rule will be broken sometime in 2014 as we both agreed that th place was lovely .

Thanks for all the advice and support offered within the forum.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,431 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip report...a delight

Hi

Enjoyed reading your report and it was lovely meeting you both. Hope I didn't (boar) you too much!

bobbie

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip report...a delight

Aw, what a lovely trip report DangelaBarry, thank you. Sounds like you made the most of your time in Dalyan with a variety of trips and experiences. Yet again, Lime comes out top of the list for dining and I can't agree more with your opinion on "time consumption". A meal out (for me) is as much about relaxing and talking as it is about eating. Bistro Clou is one of my favourite restaurants (great food, lovely hosts) and your experience in Sini echoed mine. This used to be one of our fave restaurants a few years ago but a rather bad experience last year (when we were with friends) has put us off for good. I'd be interested to know what Volkan has lined up, for him to be leaving Dalyan AND his wife for a couple of years! Must be something important. I'm sure you'll be breaking your "rule" when you feel the pull to go back to Dalyan. I had the same rule until a few years ago - I've since smashed it with over a dozen return visits to Dalyan.......and still can't get enough! Glad you had a wonderful holiday. :-)

Leicester
Level Contributor
298 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip report...a delight

Great report DangelaBarry, went into Cafe Yummy for 1st time after our trek up around Kaunos, think I was sweating more from the row boat river crossing than the walking but can't of been to bad as did not get sprayed with Cologne.

solihull
Level Contributor
530 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip report...a delight

Excellent report,thank you.Enjoyed your use of imagery to describe bits and pieces.Dalyan for sure is a beautiful calm place,to be treasured and enjoyed.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip report...a delight

Thank you for a lovely, thoughtfully written trip report dangelabarry!

It was lovely chatting to you and your lovely wife at the wild boar night and I'm delighted the issues you had with your accommodation didn't overshadow your stay in Dalyan! :)

Sel

Edited: 05 October 2013, 09:59
6. Re: First trip report...a delight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations