We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change to the visa 90/180 rules..........

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Change to the visa 90/180 rules..........

Details below.....................

…turkishlocalnews.com/portal/…

Will bump this up as the new season starts, happy hols to all of you going at the end of the year.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change to the visa 90/180 rules..........

Talk about shifting the goal posts! If ever a daft rule needed changing, it's the Turkish visa 90/180 rule. Thanks for the heads-up Missy-moo :-)

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change to the visa 90/180 rules..........

There has been no change in the law or any goal post shifting, and the article is clear in saying that it is their understanding that has changed.

I have always understood the visa to work in the way that is described in the article as 'The latest View' and have never heard of anyone thinking the 'old view' was the way the visa worked, in fact this view doesn't even make any sense.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change to the visa 90/180 rules..........

The way explained above is now being put into action in airports in Turkey ..... I know for a fact that it has happened at Bodrum, Izmir and Dalaman airports recently. Many people have always thought that each 180-day visa period meant that you could spend 90 of those 180 days in Turkey, leave and return, buy another visa and have another 90 days in Turkey .... and even Turkish officials have been calculating it that way until recently.

There has been a clarification made by the Council of Ministers in Turkey (in October this year) which now means that the 180 days are now counted backwards from the date of departure from Turkey (and that 180-day period can spread over 1 or visas) and no more than 90 days can have been spent in Turkey.

The clarification is similar to that made by Schengen countries ... in a nutshell, the 180 days for the purpose of visa validity is counted forwards BUT the 180 days for the purpose of reckoning the 90 days in Turkey is counted backwards!!!

Jak xx

4. Re: Change to the visa 90/180 rules..........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2013, 13:23
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change to the visa 90/180 rules..........

I must admit that I too had always understood it to be as you said Jak - can't get my head around this "counting backwards" bit - will have to dig out the passport and have a look! Although I suppose it doesn't matter too much, I haven't spent anything like 90 days in Turkey in any year!!

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change to the visa 90/180 rules..........

Once you understand the principle, it's not too difficult. I have broken it down for other people:

(1) When you enter Turkey, you buy a visa (or from April next year, you will have to apply online for one). From the date of the visa, count forward 180 days and that is the length of your visa validity. The 180th day is the day that your visa expires and you cannot stay in Turkey without a valid visa. On the 180th day you will have to leave Turkey and buy a new one before you can return.

(2) Now the 90 in 180 day period is something to be counted separately. Forget about the visa for a minute (as long as you have a valid visa while you are in Turkey, you are okay).

(3) Take the day of your departure (date A) and count backwards from there (date B). That is the 180-day period which will be used for the 90/180 calculation. Between date A and date B, add up the number of days you have spent in Turkey. As long as that total does not exceed 90, you are okay.

Hope this helps a little. As Attagu says, it won't affect the majority of visitors to Turkey (let's face it, who can take 3 months off work in a 6-month period), but for those who like to do long stays, it's just a warning to count the days (both forwards and backwards LOL) very carefully.

Jak xx

7. Re: Change to the visa 90/180 rules..........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan