We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's the TL?

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Where's the TL?

I keep a keen eye on the exchange rate and have Travel FX website on my "favourites" bar so I can take a quick look at TL. But when checking today, I noticed that Turkish Lira has disappeared from the website! Same with M&S -they're not showing an exchange rate for TL either. Wonder if there's about to be a run on the currency. Very strange....

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's the TL?

Apparently LTR the Turkish Central Banks are limiting there supplies :-) Travelfx that is

Edited: 07 May 2014, 20:59
West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's the TL?

Thanks bobbie - is that info from their website today? If the Lira is being rationed as a foreign exchange it will have a big effect on the amount you get for your tourist £. :-0

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's the TL?

LTR it's on Facebook :-)

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's the TL?

Thanks again bobbie. I understand that the Turkish government is trying to rein in inflation but I'm amazed the currency is unavailable from some of the major exchanges. Might ask hubby to stock up while he's in Dalyan! :-)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's the TL?

I'm wary of putting too much into TL account....or getting too much TL cash. I will stick with the quid for now. It spends just the same!

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where's the TL?

Hi Madu. We only keep as much in our TL account as we need for the season's water and electric bills (on DD) and expenses. We usually take cash for holiday spend and as we're both back in Dalyan next month it probably makes sense for hubby to change his remaining cash whilst there now. Mind you, it'll probably spend it on Efes or wine instead lol! :-)

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where's the TL?

Eurochange say that they are struggling to get supplies from Banks in UK. Hope TL is a good rate in Dalyan

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where's the TL?

Hubby got 3.48 at Aksoy yesterday or the day before. I should imagine the current restrictions on supply of TL will be temporary as the government knows that inflation is about to hit 10% and is pulling out all the stops (probably in vain) to avoid it; double digit figures are always significant in any economy. But how long it will last I don't know. Limiting supply should theoretically strengthen the TL (ie less for your £) but again who knows by how much and for how long? Last year we were getting 2.80TL to the £ so the current exchange rate is very high. :-)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where's the TL?

May have the opposite effect and make people jittery. Investors and visitors don't like uncertainty...or water cannons.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where's the TL?

bump!

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations