We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Lira?

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westhill, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
No Lira?

I was trying to order some Lira to have for our arrival, but there is non available to order through my bank or the airport exchange desk. I'm sure I have ordered Lira from the UK a few years ago. Has anyone else had this problem? I will be fine just getting cash when I get there but was wondering if there was a reason that Lira can be ordered/bought just now?

Thanks

Heather

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Lira?

There is a general shortage, as the Turkish government is holding back supplies in an effort to support the exchange rate.

If you are just looking for a small amount, try calling into your local Post Office, or High Street travel agent as they all seem to have some supplies but aren't offering competitive rates.

Birmingham, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No Lira?

Where are you flying from Cofrey?

Try http://www.eurochange.co.uk

They have a 'stock check' .. that lets you see if any local branches have Liras. I had no problems getting Liras from their Birmingham branch.

If you dont have a local branch, try The Money Shop they do Foreign Currency too.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Lira?

I ordered some at my local Post office a few weeks ago no problem and a week or two before that people were saying Thomas Cook had none anywhere. Never have any problems changing sterling in Dalyan

Westhill, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Lira?

Hi

I'm in Aberdeenshire and travelling from Aberdeen on Monday. It was RBS I tried both online and our local branch. The airport has a travelex desk so I tried them online too. The post office had a minimum £400 order but I was just looking for £50 or so for peace of mind really. I don't need much as my husband is in Georgia and is having his expenses paid in Lira this month for our holiday. I will survive with 11 lira I found from our last holiday ... I will try not to spend it all at once LOL!

Roll on Monday - it has been raining here for a week solid 😫

Thanks for replies and ideas

Heather

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Lira?

Don't worry about taking lira with you. My advice is to take sterling cash and change it into lira at Aksoy's jewellers near the mosque. You get a fair exchange rate and don't pay commission.

Hamilton, Scotland
Level Contributor
286 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Lira?

Just make sure it is English Notes, not sure if they would change Scottish ones.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Lira?

We never managed to get any lira when we went recently but we just took sterling and got some lira from the cash machines when we arrived. It's not a problem.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Lira?

We have just got home from Dalyan, before we left England I tried to get a few lira from tesco but they had none but went to thomas cook and they had plenty. As previous posters have said its easy to change sterling when you are there in either the jewelers or PTT.Have a lovely holiday.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 14:50
9. Re: No Lira?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations