We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from OluDeniz to Lycian Rock Tombs/ Kaunos?

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from OluDeniz to Lycian Rock Tombs/ Kaunos?

Hello! At the risk of sounding hideously ignorant, can I ask whether the Kaunos ruins and Lycian rock tombs are on the same site? If not how do I travel between the two?

Additionally how long does it take by public transport to get there from OD?

I read somewhere else that a catching a boat to see the rock tombs is 10 TL, but is there any option to view them up closer that doesnt involve a boat? And how much is it to enter Kaunos?

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from OluDeniz to Lycian Rock Tombs/ Kaunos?

Hi Jasmine

Kaunos lies on the other side of the river to Dalyan, so in order to see the site you must either cross the river (there is a row boat that takes you over for a few lira) or take a very long drive to Koycegiz, right round the lake. When you cross the river, the biggest and most important of the rock tombs (those which are in the brochures) are more or less in front of you, though obviously at a height. Access (up a steep path) is supposedly forbidden but lots of people to go right up to them. Kaunos is then a half hour walk further along a road and up a track. The site is large so you need to give yourself at least 2-3 hours to explore. The entrance price this year is about 8 or 10TL (I went in June but have forgotten the price). Regarding public transport from OD, type "Olu Deniz to Dalyan" or vice-versa in the search bar and you'll get some previous answers. I think it's about 2 hours so you'd need to set off reasonably early to make the most of your day. Renting a car, or staying overnight in Dalyan might be a better option. :-)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from OluDeniz to Lycian Rock Tombs/ Kaunos?

Take the dolmus from Hisaronu-Fethiye, Fethiye-Ortaca, Ortaca-Dalyan, may take about 2.5 hours. You could also take a day trip from Oludeniz which is a good day out but you won't have the option to explore Kaunos, although you will see the tombs from the river when your boat goes down to the beach.

I agree that it will take you a good 2-3 hours to explore Kaunos, it is a big site, worth taking a bag and staying overnight in Dalyan, crossing the river and walking there at your leisure.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from OluDeniz to Lycian Rock Tombs/ Kaunos?

Jasmine J, would renting a car be an option?

From Ölüdeniz to Dalyan it is about 1 hour 15 minutes, a very straight forward drive. If you have a car it is a great day trip.

Visit Iztuzu beach with the turtle sanctuary, visit the town of Dalyan, take the boat trio through the delta river, and I would say do drive via Köyçeğiz to Kaunos, the lake is stunning!

You cannot really get very close to the rock tombs as they are on a cliff pretty high up

https:/…13846752095

If you want to visit a rock tomb up close and personal you can visit the Amynthas tomb in Fethiye,

cheers!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from OluDeniz to Lycian Rock Tombs/ Kaunos?

One other option is to book your first night or last night in Dalyan instead of Ölüdeniz, it is just next to the airport and you save the drive up and down, anyway you will have a transfer from Dalaman to Ölüdeniz.....

5. Re: Getting from OluDeniz to Lycian Rock Tombs/ Kaunos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan