We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving Chuuk on Odyssey

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Diving Chuuk on Odyssey

The Odyssey Truk (Chuuk) Lagoon.

There is only one reason one would travel all the way to the tiny island of Chuuk and it's not for the amazing roads from the airport to the resort where you would be catching the boat out to the Odessey as these roads resemble a war zone with some pot holes knee deep (I may be being conservative there!). It's for the diving on the sunken Japanese WW2 fleet and this place truly lives up to the reputation of the best wreck diving in the world.

At the time of my visit there were three methods of getting to these wrecks, land based diving from the resort, a stationary live aboard called the Thorfin and the fully mobile Odyssey. We chose the Odyssey.

The Odyssey had it all, a great ship, well maintained, great cabins with comfortable beds, the best dive deck set up I have ever used and amazing food every night.

The crew are amongst the most professional diver group I have ever had the pleasure of diving with and were simply amazing as guides through the huge number of wrecks we went through. They would tailor the dives to suit the individuals skill sets and desires for each dive making all onboard a very happy bunch of campers indeed!

As a diver who loves going to crazy depths inside beautiful hunks of rusting nostalgia, I can not rave enough about my experience with the Odyssey team and not only would I do the trip again, but I would get there as often as the budget allows.

This ship is the bench mark for live aboard diving!

Thanks to Captain Nelson, The Todd and all of the Odyssey crew.

4 replies to this topic
Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving Chuuk on Odyssey

I would whole-heartedly agree the above review. We had a superb experience on the Odyssey. I would go back and dive with the Odyssey crew in a heartbeat! Great ship, crew, and diving. This is best way to dive the gorgeous wrecks of Truk Lagoon.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving Chuuk on Odyssey

I am a tour operator in Hawaii and a dive travel operator for Dive Travel Services out of our Island Divers Hawaii and Honolulu Scuba Company locations. I agree with the above review. Our trip was June 5th to 12th 2016. Outstanding dives and service and food. Having gotten a chance to see Blue Lagoon and Truk Stop and experience the food and lodging at both, I will only be bringing clients back to Chuuk through the Odyssey.

Montrose...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving Chuuk on Odyssey

I agree for the most part with the reviews of the odyssey. Captain mike gerken is extremely knowledgeable in all sorts of ways and is a phenomenal photographer. I felt very safe on the boat. I liked the tech diving capabilities. I did my 2 decompression dives to complete my decompression procedures certification with a 50% mix for my stops. the dive guides hooked me up like they do it every day. There is an elevator to drop into the water with heavy equipment and cameras. The boat was the nicest and most well equipped dive vessel that I have ever been on in the 17 years that I have been diving. The chefs cook me tuna for lunch and dinner everyday. Breakfast was great especially the banana pancakes with real boat ripened bananas and the omelets. The only thing that I felt was that there was some tension between the local divemasters and the new lead divemaster. I think the tension rubbed on me when I had equipment failures on the first 2 dives and had to abort. It was the first time in 1500 dives that I've ever had equipment problems and I got the feeling that they thought I was the cause not brand new equipment flooding. My gut says that being female and 57 didn't help the issue. I would most certainly recommend that the way to dive truk lagoon is on the odyssey. I would go back for a third time if all of my friends were going again.

Dhahran, Saudi...
Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving Chuuk on Odyssey

I’ve been diving all over the world for 25 years and I think I can safely say that this was probably the best dive trip I have ever been on…due in no small part to The Odyssey liveaboard and her fantastic crew! It goes without saying that diving the WWII wrecks of the Truk Lagoon is an indescribable experience and one that ranks among the top lifetime adventures for every diver and historian – but it takes a very special dive operation to ensure that a diver visiting this Shangri La of wreck diving, experiences the magnificence and grandeur of these sacred sites, efficiently, safely, and has a da** good time doing it! That is why I cannot praise The Odyssey and her crew enough. As a dive liveaboard, The Odyssey was perfectly designed with every conceivable amenity for divers to enjoy an amazing experience. The organization of the trip itinerary and dive program was so perfectly planned to take all of stress out and make the overall experience a relaxing a vacation. Finally the cornerstone to every operation is its People and the crew of The Odyssey were not only highly skilled professionals, but beautiful people who exuded a warmth and genuine care for every guest’s comfort. Frankly, I don’t think I have ever been on a liveaboard where I felt so personally cared for by every member of the crew! So in conclusion, the historical and magnificent sites in the calm and beautiful waters of the Truk lagoon, combined with the luxury and efficiency of the to The Odyssey liveaboard, and topped off with the kind and personalized hospitality of her crew, all roll up together to make this trip the BEST experience that any diver could imagine.

Reply to: Diving Chuuk on Odyssey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chuuk
Recent Conversations
More Chuuk Topics