We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

San Francisco, Bay...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

Hi All,

For the Glacier Landing we are not getting the TourSaver buy 1 get 1 free coupon. So we will have to pay around $550 bucks for 2 people.

However we are getting a buy one get one free deal without glacier landing. This is the Summit tour which will fly around 8000 feet above & will cost $280 total for both of us. The tour saver book is $100 so we will be saving around $200

We are going to Portage Glacier & Exit Glacier. Would we be missing a lot if we dont do Glacier Landing? If Glacier landing is a MUST Do activity then we will deninitely do it. Looking for suggestions

Thanks a lot!

June

San Francisco, Bay...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

Correction: Summit tour is not at 8000 feet but at 20000 feet!

Another tour they have is the Circle Denali tour for $250. Here is the description for both the tours

Circle Denali

------------------

"This tour completely circumnavigates the grandeur of Mt. McKinley. Fly over the spectacular Ruth Glacier, soar between the world's deepest cliffs and icefalls of the 2 mile deep Great Gorge. Witness the Climber's Base Camp on the Kahiltna Glacier, view the West Buttress and the Wickersham Wall. Perhaps you'll see climbers as they struggle for Denali's summit. Tour is 1.5 hours, 2 hours with glacier landing"

Summit Tour

------------------

20,000 feet Summit of McKinley Tour: Twin-engine aircraft, this flight goes over the top of Mt. McKinley. This tour is 1.3 hours. Summit flights do not permit a glacier landing option.

Alaska
Level Contributor
72 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

Hi June

Flying to and landing on the Ruth or Kahiltna Glacier of Mt. McKinley is a far cry from seeing or stepping on any other glacier. First you will fly thru the most incredible country, thru the most rugged mountain range in America...it will take your breath away. Shear vertical rock walls will seem so close you feel you could reach out and touch them. Spending 20 minutes walking on the upper reaches of the glacier in the Ruth Ampetheater is an experience one will not forget. I think it is certainly worth the additional cost.

Indiana
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

I would like to see your responses.

So many neat things to do, it is hard to know

what the most important things to do are.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

Articnite,

The glacier landing you describe-is that our of Talkeetna or Denali? What company would you recommend?

Thanks,

Casa

pjg
McGregor, MN
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

I am interested in your suggestions too. Will be travelling alone, so my toursaver coupons won't be a factor. This is my big adventure (hisband has NO interest in going up in small plane). I don't want to regret not doing the trip that I want to.

Unless--- does anyone know if a person could "pick-up" a parter to share the toursaver coupon -- don't know how far in advance need to book toursaver flights -- we will be in Denali area for 15 days starting July 15.

Thanks

San Francisco, Bay...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

Hi Pig,

I think it would be better to make advanced reservations. With Talkeetna Air Taxi, all of their buy 1 get 1 free deals with Glacier landing were sold out when I called (around 2-3 weeks back) for our July trip

However, they mentioned that with the toursaver book, we cld get a 20% discount

We have booked with Talkeetna Aero services (without glacier landing). They only have the 11.00 am tour for the tour saver buy 1 get 1 free so book make sure you book fast !!

June

pjg
McGregor, MN
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

Hi ,

I am not going to worry about using a toursaver coupon. (Unless they give a discount just for mentioning it). I will go alone to give me the best opportunity to get a flight. Is it still necessary to get a reservation weeks in advance?

I don't mind a day or so in advance, but not weeks.

What flights and time of day are the best?

Alaska
Level Contributor
72 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

casamurry..t

he glacier landings that several air taxi operators do is from Talkeetna. They fly all the climbers in, so are the most experienced. Talkeetna Air Taxi, possibly K-2, or Hudson Air. I am not sure if Talkeetna Aero offers this trip....

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

Thanks Articnite-

From previous posts on this forum many had mentioned waiting for flight reservations as weather subject to change. Now on this post I see many are booked. What would you recommend?

Casa

california
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flighseeing - Do Glacier Landing or Not?

Hi Juniper,

We did the Ruth Glacier landing out of Talkeetna, with K-2 last year. It is absolutely the most incredible thing we did in Alaska last year. We were very happy with K-2 and felt very safe. It is worth the extra money!! The 2nd most incredible thing was watching the glaciers claf in Glacier Bay National Park, at sea. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Carol