We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear viewing trip from Homer or Caribou Lodge Talkeetna

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bear viewing trip from Homer or Caribou Lodge Talkeetna

My husband and I are planning to go on vacation to Alaska in June 2009.Our (Dutch) travel agent is offering two interesting trips to choose from and we can't seem to make up our minds.

What would you recommend?A bear viewing tour with Emerald Air from Homer or a 3 days/2 nights trip to Caribou Lodge from Talkeetna?We love hiking,wildlife viewing and photography.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Susitna River Lodging
Susitna River Lodging
#1 of 18 Speciality lodging in Talkeetna
Talkeetna Denali View Lodge & Cabins
Talkeetna Denali View Lodge & Cabins
#2 of 18 Speciality lodging in Talkeetna
Caribou Lodge Alaska
Caribou Lodge Alaska
#3 of 18 Speciality lodging in Talkeetna
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear viewing trip from Homer or Caribou Lodge Talkeetna

How about both? We go every summer with Emerald and each time have different but always unforgettable experience. Many of us posted comments about day tours with Emerald so if you text search here under bear watching and/or Emerald Air you'll find plenty of information. The best bear watching with Emerald we found to be in the end of July and beginning of August. If you decide to go with Emerald Air I suggest contacting them directly and getting all information you want. In this case there is really no need to involve any third party. Just my 2cents.

Read the Emerald's very informative webiste which include many pictures.

www.emeraldairservice.com

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear viewing trip from Homer or Caribou Lodge Talkeetna

I don't know about the Caribou Lodge from Talkeetna, but for me, I'd be up for going on a Beat viewing tour. I've been twice out of Homer and it was a great experience. Plus, Homer is a great little town. You can also go sea kayaking out of Homer. I went with Seaside Adventure last year with a day of kayaking and it was a wonderful experience. I always stay at the Ocean House Inn when in Homer. Between the bear tour, and possibly kayaking, you should be able to see a lot of wildlife besides bears such as eagles, sea otters, and a variety of birds. Oh, and there a plenty of Moose in the HOmer area too. Therefore, in terms of wildlife viewing, you'll see more in Homer. Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear viewing trip from Homer or Caribou Lodge Talkeetna

Uh, oops, sorry for my spelling, that's bear viewing, not beat viewing ;-)

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear viewing trip from Homer or Caribou Lodge Talkeetna

Hands down, the bear-viewing tour from Homer. Great hiking in that area, as well as tidepooling (seeing the creatures left behind after high tide. As was said, good chance of seeing moose, especially if you get up really early (5 a.m.), because about 500 live in the Homer area. Should see lots of eagles too, and you can take a water taxi over to Gull Island to see birds.

What else is in your itinerary? On this forum, we suggest that most people arrange their own trips, so you can go exactly where you want to, when you want to.

Mentioned in this post
Homer
Homer
Alaska
5. Re: Bear viewing trip from Homer or Caribou Lodge Talkeetna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 21:18