We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from anc to denali, ?worth staying night in Talkeetna?

Which Talkeetna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
upstate SC
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
train from anc to denali, ?worth staying night in Talkeetna?

Hello! My husband and I are taking the train from Anchorage to Denali, where my cousin will then meet us to go to Fairbanks. We are thinking of staying a night in Talkeetna but I want to know if people think it is worth it given the times the train arrives and leaves Talkeetna (11AM). What suggestions do you have for a place to spend the night for $150 or less and for what to do while we are there? How difficult is it to get around since we won't have a car, and how hard is it to store luggage between train arrival and time to check in to hotel or B&B?

Thanks!

Alaska
Level Contributor
72 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from anc to denali, ?worth staying night in Talkeetna?

Talkeetna is always a great for a day or overnite visit. Try the Talkeena Roadhouse, quaint, historic and always fun. It is Downtown within walking distance of everything. About 1/4 mile from the train station. Probably could hitch a ride if you don't want to walk.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train from anc to denali, ?worth staying night in Talkeetna?

Well, I would suggest you stay there only if you have activities in mind you'd like to do there (flightseeing, fishing, jet boat tour, river raft float, sleddog tour). Otherwise, I would suggest spending the extra day in Denali (or Fairbanks).

Getting around is easy. Talkeetna is tiny: …alaska.edu/kath/…DowntownTalkeetna3.jpg

This link should help you find accommodations: talkeetnatravel.com/…20DISTANCE

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train from anc to denali, ?worth staying night in Talkeetna?

Oh, and I'm not suggesting you should use the travel service in the 2nd link I gave (I prefer dealing directly with places myself). I just posted the link because it described the accommodations very well.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,103 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from anc to denali, ?worth staying night in Talkeetna?

I too would suggest skipping Talkeetna in favor of Denali unless you had something specific in mind. Even then, if flightseeing is in the cards, and you are taking the train, I would suggest looking into the flghtseeing from Denali. It will give you a lot more time at Denali, being that the flightseeing is only about 2 hours long.

When are you traveling?

John

Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from anc to denali, ?worth staying night in Talkeetna?

Talkeetna is a wonderful quaint little town. Although we are perhaps a little biased (as we own lodging there), most of our guests are very happy they did not skip Talkeetna. Making a stopover by train (traveling north) would give you 24 hours to enjoy it. Most lodging will pick up and drop off at the train station at no cost. Also, it is easy for us to store luggage if your room isn't ready.

Regarding flightseeing, I would definitely recommend doing this from Talkeetna rather than from the park. The reason for this is because we are closer to the mountain than the park entrance, which means you spend more air time flying around the mountain, rather than over flat ground.

The park is a great place to see wildlife, but Talkeetna still remains as one of few authentic Alaskan villages left. If you decide to visit - don't miss breakfast at the Roadhouse. Definitely an Alaskan experience!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from anc to denali, ?worth staying night in Talkeetna?

OP visited this past August but good advice for future visitors.

7. Re: train from anc to denali, ?worth staying night in Talkeetna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2010, 06:19