We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali flight-seeing, back-up plan?

Which Talkeetna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Denali flight-seeing, back-up plan?

Beginning preliminary planning for an 11 day trip of a lifetime in summer of 2011. Am trying to get an early handle on things in case we need to book some things a year in advance like staying at Brooks Falls Lodge if we decide to do that, so figuring out the itinerary early is important. I am reading about the Denali flightseeing tours and they are one of our "must do" activities in Alaska. I understand that you should be able to be flexible in case a flight is canceled for weather and you need to take a later flight. So I figure we should have a second day in Talkeetna just in case we can't fly on the day we want. Is this the case? We had thought about going over to Whittier/Prince William Sound as a back-up plan but that's three hours away and doesn't seem reasonable unless we are taking the Denali flight from Anchorage, perhaps with Rust's. But I don't think Rust does a glacier landing, and Talkeetna air does. SO, my question is, 1) other activities to do in Talkeetna that you would highly recommend(salmon fishing, rafting, sightseeing), or 2)any reasonable way of having Whittier or somewhere else be that back-up plan for day 2? I really don't want to get shut out of the Denali flight, but also don't want to spend the second day on activities that are more "killing time" rather than really great things to do if we get to take the flight on the first day, we want the second day to be great too. . In terms of where we are going from there, probably south, We THINK, at this point we may skip driving to Denali and just see it from the flightseeing tour, we have really tried to get enthusiastic about the bus tour but just can't, and would rather spend the time and money for up close bear viewing and wildlife tours and guided fishing expeditions, perhaps a fly in wilderness lodge, etc, on the Kenai Peninsula. . At least that's how we feel today, who knows how this plan will eventually look, it has changed alot already. Anyway, any input is appreciated, thanks.

California
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Denali flight-seeing, back-up plan?

I spoke with Fly Denali today, spoke to a very nice woman, she explained the logic of going into Denali after Talkeetna and taking a flight from there if we get washed out on our first flight day, similar to what was advised here. She also said similar things as some of the posters here about just doing as much of Denali as we want, even if it's just the first 15 miles it's worthwhile, there seem to be some nice short hikes like Horseshoe lake, or taking the bus as far as we want and then turning around. I also looked at the NPS website and got better oriented. I spoke to hubby and we are at this point planning to add a short visit to Denali, an evening, one full day, and morning, and we will at least see some of the park. Thanks as always for the advice, I think this will work out well.

12. Re: Denali flight-seeing, back-up plan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 06:27