We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

Which Talkeetna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

We coming into Talkeetna on a Princess Cruisetour in August. We arrive at 12pm on day 1 and depart at 2pm on day 2.

My husband gets motion sickness and I don't think will will be able to convince him to do a flightseeing tour. We will have our 2 sons (17 and 9) with us and I need something adventurous to do with them.

Help please!!!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

Well, you can go flightseeing by yourself and hubby can fish, do a jetboat tour, do a sleddog tour (SunDog), go ATV'ing, hike, etc: www.princesslodges.com/mckinley_lodge.cfm

albuquerque
Level Contributor
70 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

Talkneeta, is a funky little town full of interesting shops, the cemetary there is really interesting, we spent a long time wandering around it, there is a monument to the men and women who have died climbing denali, the roadhouse has a bakery which you cannot pass up, we walked along the river, they have jet boat rides that look like fun, its known as the back door to denali and if denali choses to make an appearance that day you will have a good view, there are several sled dog places, or rent a car and take a drive up toward denali np ,

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

Mahay's jetboat tours are pretty good. He could always go salmon fishing too. You may want to consider trying the motion sickness bands though. One of my kids has motion sickness and they work great for her.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

I agree with Manitoba_Maple. You can go without him. It is not a bad idea to do different activities once in awhile. I went to Anaktuvuk Pass on a day trip while my husband stayed in Fairbanks (and not because he gets motion sickness) and occupied himself with other activities.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

I agree with Manitoba_Maple. You can go without him. It is not a bad idea to do different activities once in awhile. I went to Anaktuvuk Pass on a day trip while my husband stayed in Fairbanks (and not because he gets motion sickness or is afraid of flying in small planes) and occupied himself with other activities.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,336 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

I've done a flight-seeing from Talkeetna to Denali; it is a "not to be missed" experience if you've the opportunity.

As others have mentioned, if one of you can't go on the plane, there's other things in Talkeetna for the other.

Good luck & enjoy AK,

Scott

Connecticut
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

Thank you all for your fast input.

For those of you who have done flightseeing, assuming it's decent weather, how bumpy do the flights tend to be. I really don't want him to miss this opportunity.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,223 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

>>For those of you who have done flightseeing, assuming it's decent weather, how bumpy do the flights tend to be. I really don't want him to miss this opportunity.

I booked it months in advance when I did it from Talkeetna. It was a very overcast day, but the flights were operating. The saving grace for me was that we used a 2-for-1 coupon so it cost under $150/person. We still had a great time, a glacier landing and the experience was really good. It was not really bumpy at all that I can recall, and as I said, it was not a perfect day weather-wise.

I also did the Misty Fjords flightseeing last summer in Ketchikan. It was VERY misty (and rainy). Again, since this was with a 2-for-1 coupon, I didn't think it was too bad. But if I were paying full price, I would wait until I arrived, see the weather and then book on the spot. There are certainly exceptions to my "rule" - I already booked an 8 hour flightseeing package during the Iditarod this coming March. Knowing I will probably never do it again, and knowing that the flightseeing is only a small part of the entire package (as much transportation as flightseeing), and knowing that it would be my only big excursion that trip, I felt comfortable booking it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

We did the flight with K2 out of Talkeetna, including the glacier landing and it is a "not to be missed" trip if you can swing it. It was also pretty overcast on the day we flew out and we were delayed probably 90 minutes. We did have a smooth flight however, including the landing/take-off at the glacier.

We also did the Mahay's 3 Rivers boat tour and enjoyed it too.

10. Re: What to do when husband is afraid to flightsee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 April 2011, 01:35