We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter accommodations

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
winter accommodations

I'm having trouble finding a place to stay in late November.

Which lodges/hotels are open during that time? I need someplace where I can get meals, or at least drive to one. I don't want to cook!

Are restaurants in town open or do they mostly shut down for the season?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winter accommodations

What about the Talkeetna Roadhouse for $80/night you can stay in the Little Cabin and they have great food.

Or you could share a bath for $40/night.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 22:26
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter accommodations

We've stayed at the Roadhouse in winter for x-country skiing. It's a great place to eat.... the best breakfasts around. There were other restaurants in town open too.

http://www.talkeetnaroadhouse.com/winter.htm

talkeetnachamber.org/activities/winter-things

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: winter accommodations

Thanks both of you. Remember the days before Tripadvisor? I think I would have given up by now!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winter accommodations

The Roadhouse is kinda funky, real Alaskan, not fancy but a lot of us love it for that. Have a great trip!

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: winter accommodations

We just stayed in the Lil Cabin in the Back at the Roadhouse and loved it. Basic, funky and real alaskan. We stayed at some really nice places, but the Roadhouse was our favorite for all of those reasons.

The bathrooms are shared and there is no bathroom in the cabin. So you have to walk a few steps from the cabin to the back door of the Roadhouse. I"m not a shared bathroom kinda girl, but honestly, I didn't mind at all. It felt private enough and although the bathrooms weren't new they were very clean. There is a really nice area inside the roadhouse where people hang out to read, play games or play music. Plus the food is really good. And the bakery cabinet stays open till 9 pm. :>)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: winter accommodations

Thanks all! I was also looking at Lat62 and just got an email from them saying they are open that weekend but the restaurant/bar will be closed Thanksgiving day. I have no idea what the town is like -- are there lots of places to eat? And will anything be open on Thanksgiving? I'm not picky, but I do need to eat something!

Also, what do you think of Lat62 to stay? they have the jacuzzi suite avl. (I'm not a bathrom sharing lover either)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,427 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: winter accommodations

The Roadhouse throws a fantastic "family style" meal on Thanksgiving. If you're considering it, make a reservation now.

Good luck,

Scott

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: winter accommodations

Here are some of the restaurants:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g31136-Talkeetna…

I don't know Lat62 or any of the lodges or B&Bs since I usually am in my camper, but there are a bunch that I think would love to have you there. Call theTalkeetna Roadhouse or Lat62. Last62 should be able to find out for you. It's a very small town. Then you can call the restaurant to confirm.

Actually, that jacuzzi suite sounds a lot more inviting to me than sleeping at the Roadhouse! I vote for that. Plus, if the mountain is out you could see it from Lat62,

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: winter accommodations

Good news, Scott! The Roadhouse is so "family style dining" that you could meet some great locals. I often do at the communal tables at the Roadhouse.

But then sleep near the ensuite jacuzzi bathroom!

10. Re: winter accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 16:16