We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Alaska Inn or Susitna River Lodging?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Alaska Inn or Susitna River Lodging?

I know this is subjective but I am torn between these two. We will only be there one night but location, views, environment are still important. We are an " older" couple traveling with 2 adult children. Susitna River Lodging has a cabin for all of us; Swiss- Alaska has two rooms in the lodge for more money. We are not so much concerned about the $$ as about the total package.

If you had friends or family coming to Alaska, which would you advise them to choose?

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Susitna River Lodging
Susitna River Lodging
299 Reviews
Talkeetna, AK
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Susitna River Lodging
Susitna River Lodging
#1 of 18 Speciality lodging in Talkeetna
Talkeetna Denali View Lodge & Cabins
Talkeetna Denali View Lodge & Cabins
#2 of 18 Speciality lodging in Talkeetna
Caribou Lodge Alaska
Caribou Lodge Alaska
#3 of 18 Speciality lodging in Talkeetna
Michigan
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Alaska Inn or Susitna River Lodging?

I've stayed at the Swiss-Alaska and while nice and the owners are great people, I think you would be happier staying at the Susitna River Lodge. Better location and nicer in my humble opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Alaska Inn or Susitna River Lodging?

Thanks--- that is helpful! I thought the location might be better as it looks to be closer to the river.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
328 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Alaska Inn or Susitna River Lodging?

My wife and I stayed at Susitna River Lodge June 21 in room 1 in the lodge. If the cabins are anything like the room - and I suspect they are - then you're in for a real treat. Darlene and the staff are excellent hosts and extremely knowledgeable about the area. We had an awesome view of Mt. McKinley while standing on the riverbank and relaxed with a bottle of wine and cheese in the screened-in riverside gazebo. It was very clean and quiet and the bathroom and linens were the best we've experienced in our travels. I was able to borrow a small cooler and ice for an all-day fishing trip the next morning. The continental breakfast was laid out the night before so I was able to grab some pastries, fruit and juice at 4:00 AM. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

4. Re: Swiss Alaska Inn or Susitna River Lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:46