We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report - Talkeetna - disappointing - charm was GONE!

Which Talkeetna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,163 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
trip report - Talkeetna - disappointing - charm was GONE!

We (4 adults) stayed at our cabin (mile 88 area of Parks Hwy) on Sunday night. Monday we used to drive up to Denali, stopping in Talkeetna and many other of our favorite spots heading north.

We arrived in Talkeetna about 11 am on Monday for the 1st time (and last) this summer. I've been in Talkeetna a couple of times throughout winter and spring. For me the "Alaskan small village charm" had completely disappeared. I can deal with (barely) the several bits of new construction and completely understand the need for tourism and the small time the community has to get the money from the tourists. I could not deal with what I can only refer to as a "3rd worldish" type of environment that has "popped-up" there... people approaching me on the street to buy their product (come to my kiosk/tent to see/buy this, "I have the best stuff/price/product"!!!!). People also approached me looking to sell their service to help me/us cross the little stream from recent "over-flow" on the Talkeetna side of the river (so you could get to the river). This consisted of aiding you across a small tree for 6 feet. I was very surprised (and disappointed) at the number of "easy-ups" and "independent" vendors selling their wares. I've been to Talkeetna 50+ times over the past 8 years and at this point and time it was completely void of AK, I'll return and hopefully catch a meal at the Wildflower Cafe before they close up, hit-up the Roadhouse, the pizza place, West Rib, etc. during the winter, and chat with some of the residents.

By the way way, the campground in Talkeetna (near the river) was completely empty.

Yuck,

Scott

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: trip report - Talkeetna - disappointing - charm was GONE!

And we loved Talkeetna, and would definitely stop there again if we were in the area. We just all have different interests. I suppose it could have changed since were there in 2008, but I imagine the ranger station, cemetery and the Mt.McKinley look out are all still there. We also enjoyed our walk to the river and around town. We ate at the Wildflower Cafe and loved it. All in all a great time!!! I

Edited: 16 June 2013, 03:36
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,163 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: trip report - Talkeetna - disappointing - charm was GONE!

"I grew up in Atlantic City, NJ and any money we could make as a preteen in the 1960's was like a gift from heaven"

Mount Dora... I like your memory and logic and agree with you 100%.

It's possible I met up with "the wrong" sales person; but the person wanting to assist my party behaved as if they owned the portion of the stream we were crossing and that if we crossed there we owed them money regardless of their assistance. Probably collected some protection money from the locals to - :)

13. Re: trip report - Talkeetna - disappointing - charm was GONE!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 06:18