We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

Michigan
4 posts
Save Topic
How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

Hi all, this board has been an invaluable source of info in planning my honeymoon to the St. Regis in Bora Bora in early September. So thanks!

My flight for Papeete leaves LAX at 4:10pm. Can anyone tell me how early in advance it would be advisable for me to arrive at LAX in order to attempt to upgrade my tickets to Business Class for the Tahiti Nui flight? I've heard it's much cheaper at the gate as opposed to over the phone with my travel agent. Incidentally, I believe my travel agent also told me months ago that the Papeete flight was already nearly full.

Thanks again for any help!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

Ia otrana

The counter open about 3 hours prior to the flight.

Enjoy the best deal around with the $ 700 one way per person upgrade from coach to business or the

Bon voyage

Meherio

Ps photos of the interior of Air tahiti nui at :

http://photos.yahoo.com/flytahiti and open Avions

PA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

I have this picture in my head of 30 or so TA forum members rushing the counter exactly 3 hours prior to take off, and bitchy as hell because our main man advised them not to bring the Oregano past customs! What a sight! Almost makes me consider paying the 4 or 5 grand xtra ! JUST JOKING! Actually my flight is also the 4:10 later this month, but if I can't get on business class, some strong measures will have to be taken whilst sitting in coach!

Love, Star

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

Starfruit it is not 4 or 5 grand extra. Not at all....................

Now there will be even more TA members rushing the counter:):):)

Regards BO

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

Indeed three hours prior is when the counter opens. These upgrades are based upon availability and whether or not they have enough meals in business class on board to accomodate an upgrade. Good luck! I would suggest to you that the flights are very full during the high season and it's not as likely there will be room.

Your travel agent should be able to see the load and if business class is sold out or not. Best of luck to you!

sunny regards,

shully

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

Ia orana

here is the so far yet unwritten list for the upgrades;

LAX-PPT - Coach to Business $ 700

Business to First $ 900

(and yes Pamela), Coach to first $ 1600.

Great deal especially if you take adnavtage of those pesky special offers we see once in a while.

LAXx-AKL Coach to Business $ $ 1000

JFK- PPT Coach to Business $ 800

JFK SydneyCoach to Business $ 1200 (a Bargain or what ? ).

For the return the prices in CFP francs

( remember at today's exchange 84 CFP for $ 1 USD)

PPT-LAX 60 000 CFP

AKL-LAX 70 000CFP

These are indication correct at the time of typing and could change at any time.

I have not seen yet hords of travellers ( with a Trip Advisor Backpack sleeping in front of the counters to get the first set of Upgrades but have seen more than a few couple on one flight getting those precious boarding passes.

Worth the consideration for the one way going at least to arrive rested.

meherio

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

Ia orana

Post scriptum:

The rates are one way per person, depending on the availability of space and catering on board. ( should the flight be very light in reservations, the airline will limit the catering to avoid losses )

Bon voyage

meherio

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

We've noticed during the last two trips (March and May) that the ATN counter in LAX is opening a little earlier than the 3 hours they post. Last trip, they were open at 12:30 p.m. for the 4:10 p.m. flight. So I'd get there 3.5 hours ahead, and be there waiting when they open. There usually is not a long line at LAX, but get in the "business class" line when you arrive. Same in PPT if you want the upgrade coming back -- in Papeete, there IS a long line, so don't wait in the "Moana" class (economy) line, but jump right on the business class line if you are planning to upgrade. (Even if a business class seat is not available, they will check you in anyway.)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

Ia orana

Great advice for LAx. Business clas ( Poerava ) Line it is.

For Papeete you will be directed in the ticket sales office to pay for the difference.(on the left hand side of the counters )

Might as well get there directly and arrive at the business classs counter with the Upgrade at hand already (great time saving there)

meherio

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

Why bother with business class on the way back. I say my holidays over so they can just drug me,stick me in a container in the cargo hold and that will do.

We might try upgrade on the way there but if we are unsuccessful more overpriced tropical cocktails for the 2 of use once we get there. A jetski tour too.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
742 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How early to arrive at LAX to upgrade on Tahiti Nui?

JFK- PPT Coach to Business $ 800

I was hoping to get the upgrade but at an additional $1600 one way, not so sure about it now. Guess we will try for it and I will try my best to convince my hubbie if we do get a chance for it........probably won't since it is high season anyway....

$1600 could mean so much while in BB/Tahaa (spa, tours, etc...)