We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to coral gardens?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to coral gardens?

Ive browsed some of the past posts about going to the coral gardens by the sofitel during the morning before the rush. Correct me if I'm wrong. If we are staying at the Thalasso we can take the shuttle to sister hotel Le Moana then use their kayak and kayak over to the coral gardens? How far is the coral gardens from Le Moana? Can anyone give me more insight on how this could be done and also will the kayaks float away while we snorkel? Also what time would be the best to go and how early does the shuttle run from Thalasso to sister hotel? The whole idea sounds exciting and scary at the same time because I'm thinking we're going to be completly alone in the middle of the lagoon. Please if anyone has gone to the coral gardens by themselves not with a tour please give me some feedback! = ) THX

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to coral gardens?

I'm replying to you, not because I have anything usegul to add, but more to say that I'm curious about the answers you receive. If you don't get any, I'll give you all the details when I get back at the end of July (if that is before your trip). This item is on my 'must-do' list. By the way, your plan of kayak from Le Moana is accurate based on what I've read. Hopefully we can put the kayaks on the beach somewhere, but if not I'm cool with tying a rope around my body and to the kayaks.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to coral gardens?

Hi jshien:

I would be delighted to help to answer your question:

Indeed you can take the free boat from the Thalasso to the Le Moana where you can use kayaks to go to the coral gardens. It is best done early in the morning prior to the tours ie: less people.

The coral gardens are directly across the bay from the Le Moana on the end of the motu in the distance. Just ask the guy at the kayak place to point them out. It is a bit of a kayak ride....so you should be in pretty good shape to cross the bay. It is also less windy in the morning so better snorkeling and easier to kayak across. You won't be alone in the middle of the lagoon. There is a fair amount of boat traffic, this area is quite popular along the beaches. It's not scary, it's just a work out. It is well worth the trip over. The shuttle runs all day beginning in the morning every couple hours. You can sign for drinks and food at the Le Moana and use their beach. It is a gorgeous beach, white sandy bottom and crystal clear water. Enjoy and no worries!

sunny regards,

shully

Florida
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to coral gardens?

Hi jchien,

I just returned from the Sofitel Bora Bora Beach resort in April and my wife and I kayaked over to the coral gardens to snorkel. The Sofitel is a bit closer than the Intercontinental but the route is similar. Took about 20 minutes to kayak over at a somewhat leisurely pace. There is some current on the way over and a bit of boat traffic but that is easy enough to avoid, I pulled the kayak up on a small little patch of sand on the motu where the Sofitel Motu is located. The coral gardens are on the back side of that Motu where the Sofitel Motu is located (the motu you can see directly in front of you from the Intercontinental as you face Taha'a in the distance). Be sure to pull the kayak way up! As the tide rose, it would have washed the kayaks away if we hadn't gotten out once to check on them. We went in the mid-morning and there was one tour boat there with 4 people and then another group of 3 people there snorkeling. Good luck.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to coral gardens?

thanks for the responses! Luxurytrip i had to laugh at the picture of me with a kayak tied around my waist. I would definitly love to hear how your trip goes and all the pointers after you guys get back in July. We will be going at the end of August and early Sept. Ooo i hope im in good enough shape to kayak all the way across. and i hope my fiance doesnt freak out in the middle of the lagoon. hes only been snorkeling twice and both times with large tour groups of ppl. he says there is safety in numbers from the fishys. lol. I'll be lucky if i can get him to go do the stingray and shark feeding!

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to coral gardens?

You guys are defintley cheering me up this morning. I can see it already.

A new idea for an excursion "snorkeling with a kayak around your waist" in the Lagoon of Bora Bora. Cost............Priceless:):):):):):):)

Regards

Bo

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to coral gardens?

Bo, you made me laugh too.

jshien, my fiance had never snorkeled before this last Sept and I was super glad we did a couple beach snorkels on our own before we were with the group. I'd just make sure that your first snorkel isn't out at the coral gardens and I think your fiance will be just fine. Personally, my fiance is hooked and I don't think I'll be able to keep her out of the water.... hope she doesn't ware herself out too much, if you know what I mean!! :)

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to coral gardens?

Dear Miss Marla

next time you are out in the Lagoon, and you spot tourists with Kayaks tied around their waste, they got the idea from Trip Advisor. It is a Market Study for a new excursion idea in Bora Bora.

Regards

BO

Florida
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to coral gardens?

Sounds like a training idea for Rocky Balboa's next movie.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to coral gardens?

Ia orana

The training would be for the galant groom to pull the kayak while the Blushing bride is enjoying the ride aboard...

meherio

los angeles
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to coral gardens?

i just got back from the Thalasso. We did a 9am-12pm excursion from there where we went out on a boat: first stopped to do the shark feeding, then we cruised over to the coral gardens for some snorkeling (it's not scary out there--there are a bunch of people and if you get tired swimming out in the lagoon, there are ropes to hold on too) and then we finished with taking the boat somewhere else to swim with the stingrays. i highly recommend this trip planned by the thalasso--it was probably the most fun activity we did in Bora Bora. i have the most beautiful pictures that i took underwater at all of these places!