We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in French Polynesia

London
Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in French Polynesia

I'm due to go on honeymoon in September spending 1 nt in Papeete and 4 in Bora Bora hotel... I believe food is expensive so looking for a list of value places to eat for all meals and also supermarkets/ markets where I can buy food which is safe to eat.

I dont eat red meat and dont really want to spend my time eating "Junk food " ( pizza, pasta, burgers etc)

Will I find anything there without breaking the bank ??

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in French Polynesia

Hi Rap;

You should bring along some snacks in your luggage ie: chips, energy bars etc, as well as, (if you drink) alcohol from the duty free outside Tahiti...

There are a few shops, market (ie: grocery) etc in the main village of Viatape. In Matira Bay there is a market as well, and the Le Bounty has great pizza, and Snack Matira burgers and such. ....But not the kind of food you are looking for. So, I suggest going to a market in Viatape or Matira Bay for cheese, bread, premade sandwiches, croissants, baked goods, sodas, water etc... this will be the most affordable way to go, the food at the markets is safe.

sunny regards,

shully

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in French Polynesia

Hi Rap

I am not a junk food eater and do quite well with buying lots of fruit, eating salads, fish, and wonderful bread & pastries for breakfast.

No worry, there are plenty of choices in the larger Supermarkets and I always find something on the menus. Hotel Bora Bora has wonderful Poisson Cru. It's about USD25.00 and a very large portion. I can make that a meal with bread and share with somebody. Try Kaina Hut in Bora Bora for dinner. You can have appetizers for dinner, the portions were quite generous when I ate there.

Regards

BO

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in French Polynesia

You're pretty much out of luck as far as "value places" to eat. But then again, it depends on what your definition of "value places" is. As mentioned, La Bounty is good as well as the Matira Restaurant and Restaurant Patoti. All the items at these places are about $15 USD and up.......unless you get a burger and fries, which is about $10 USD.

London
Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in French Polynesia

Thanks - will I need to make reservations at these restaurants for dinner in Sep? ( I believe this is high season there). Also what is the best way to get to these places?- I red somewhere that some have their own shuttle service. We will be staying at Hotel Bora Bora

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in French Polynesia

Yes I would suggest reservations at Kaina Hut. They have free transportion from you Hotel.

Here is their website with phone number. Note they are closed on Tuesday nights.

www.kainahut.com

Have a wonderful trip.........You will love the Hotel Bora Bora.

If you like raw fish, make sure you get the Poison Cru there.

It is wonderful, and that basket of fresh breads and fruit for breakfast room service is enough for 2.

Regards

BO

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating in French Polynesia

It's definitely a good idea to make reservations for the more expensive places like Kaina Hut, Top Dive, and Bloody Mary's. And you can do that when you get there. But you won't need reservations for places like La Bounty.

Yes, Top Dive and Bloody Mary's will come pick you up at your hotel. There really is no other way to get there unless you have a car.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating in French Polynesia

Hi Rap:

The finer dining restaurants all have transport from your hotel to their restaurants for dinner. The Villa Mahana charges for this service. The rest are complimentary such as Top Dive or Kaina Hut. You can walk from Hotel Bora Bora to Bloody Marys in about ten-fifteen minutes. Just bring a flashlight for the walk back. It's a lovely walk along the roadside. The Hotel Bora Bora has a great seafood buffet dinner and polynesian show on Wednesday nights. Truly wonderful! You may wish to take some bicycles from Hotel BOB over to Matira Bay one day and have lunch someplace. It's a nice ride, not too far by bike, and a very pretty bay. The public beach at Matira is nice to see. The sunsets at the Hotel Bora Bora are wonderful from the bar upstairs as well.

Just have the concierge make your dinner reservations upon arrival at the Hotel BOB. If you wish to try the Villa Mahana (most expensive restaurant, small portions of wonderful food) you should make that reservation in advance directly with the chef at:

damien@villamahana.com

sunny regards,

shully

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating in French Polynesia

Here is the scoop:

The first time I went to FP my wife and I loaded up an extra suitcase filled with nothing but food. Of course that was in the days when you didn't need to worry about weight allowances.

The fruit is cheap in FP and the Bagette is subsidized by the French government, $0.35 USD and you have a loaf of bread, and my a say tasty too! Plan your eating around the fruit and Bagettes. New Zealnd butter is fantastic and spread a little of that on a Baggette along with some local fresh jam and you have paradise ...........

I also bring along "bag" tuna from home so I can make tuna sandwiches, again focus on the baggettes.

THe rolettes on the harbor shoreline in Papeete are the "deal" spots. Great food and a fair price.

If you loke bananas you will love the local small ones. THe best I've ever had.

Almost all hotels have a hot water maker in the rooms. You can bring "cup of soups" or any other "add" water type of stuff you can get at your local market before going.

Nuts are a great thing to bring. Granola cereal from home is good to bring, just by some local milk.

Jope this helps, remember, Baggette ...............

London
Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating in French Polynesia

Is there a website which wil give me listings of restaurants on the Islands and sample menus?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
390 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating in French Polynesia

I recently honeymooned at Hotel Bora Bora and my hubby and I had a private beach dinner through the hotel. It was delicious and very heavy on the seafood. As Bo mentioned, the poisson cru is out of this world.

While not an inexpensive meal, it was a nice splurge for our honeymoon and we didn't have to leave the hotel. Didier, the head waiter, will sit with you the evening before the meal and determine your menu with you. During our meal, he gave us Tahitian names and told us a story about the meaning of our names and presented us with a keepsake menu.

There's more info about this dinner and our stay at HBB in my review here on Trip Advisor. There's also a picture of the first course of our private beach dinner, too. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

Get answers to your questions about Bora Bora