We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance separate from trip

NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Insurance separate from trip

This week I will be booking a $9k, Moorea/BoraBora trip with Laurel from Truetahitivacations.

She does not offer insurance so I have to purchase it separately.

Do I have any time limit under which I must immediately book insurance after booking my trip?

What places do you recommend I go to for insurance and what packages?

I was on Travelsafe.com but it is hard to decipher exactly what I do and don't need for my trip to FP. Quotes on that site were given out with only asking for traveler’s age, length and price of trip. Seems odd?

Thanks in advance, this is my last step before I throw down my deposit and I am super excited!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance separate from trip

Ia orana

You have brought up a point many time debated and explained.

Purchasing a package abroad takes some of the services and travel protection for a US consummer away. Travel insurance for a large purchase like yours is an absolute must since life happens.

You can try : http://www.travelguard.com/

Bon Voyage

Meherio

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance separate from trip

I find it a little sketchy that your agent or tour company doesn't offer insurance.

Check with your Credit Card company. They may well offer travel insurance.

Cheers Trippy

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance separate from trip

Give this one a try.

www.insuremytrip.com

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insurance separate from trip

Ia orana

Good One Trippy for the Credit card coverage.

Always check at first if any of your credit cards already offers any type of coverage for your vacation by using brand x or Y card.

Same goes before hasnd for the car rental coverage. Always ask before hand what the procedure for the extra coverage to kick in if let say a coconut tree appeared in front of your car.

Sometimes the aggravation of filing police ( or gendarmerie ) reports with photos etc,.. are not worth the $ 10 / day saved by not taking the said insurance.

Have a safe trip !

meherio

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insurance separate from trip

Bonjour,

I second the recommendation for www.insuremytrip.com. That site also has lots of good info to better understand the major parts of the policies so you can decide. For example some don't cover cancellation for things like jury duty that you might not be able to get out of - something to consider beyond just the medical reasons.

Also, while not an expert, I believe you can buy at any time. However, the longer you wait after you make your purchase, there is that risk. Best to buy as close to the final payment. Also, you only need to insure the portion of the cost that would be lost. For example, while an airline ticket may not be refundable, it may be 'changeable' for a fee. So you could insure for the change or non-refundable costs. This is what I learned from the insuremytrip site. Of course, you can also be super safe and just insure the full $9K - but I bet not all of that would be lost if you did have to cancel.

Good luck and have a bon voyage.

nancy

6. Re: Insurance separate from trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 19:16