We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

44 lbs?

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
118 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
44 lbs?

Is it 44 lbs. total all three bags combined, or each bag can weigh up to 44 lbs?

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 44 lbs?

44 lbs total .............

I get 22 lbs, the wife gets 66 lbs .......... HA HA

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 44 lbs?

Yep, it's 44 lbs Total for all bags and 6.6 lbs for carry-on...

Tiki: you are very funny!

sunny regards,

shully

chicago, IL
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 44 lbs?

Is that 44 lbs per passenger? Meaning my husband gets 44 lbs and I also get 44lbs? so, 88lb altogether?

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 44 lbs?

Yes :)

here are the restrictions:

AIR TAHITI NUI BAGGAGE RESTRICTIONS

CARRY-ON LUGGAGE:

1 piece of carry-on p/p over 2 yrs not more than 45” (L+H+W) and 22 lbs. Plus one small personal item (purse, laptop, camera etc.)

CHECKED LUGGAGE:

2 pieces p/p/ over 2 yrs not more than 62 inches (L+H+W) and 50 lbs total

AIR TAHITI (INTRA ISLAND FLIGHTS):

CARRY ON:

1 piece with dimensions not exceeding 45 x 35 x 20 cm ( 17” x 13” x 7”and weight under 3 kg (6.6lbs).

CHECKED BAGGAGE : length + width + height must not exceed 150cm (59"); wheel and handle included.A maximum of 3 baggage items per person can be checked-in on free-of-charge baggage allowance...passengers connecting to/from an international flight: 20kg (44lbs) for all bags TOTAL (not per bag!!)- an extra 5kg (11lbs) allowance is dedicated to divers. Proof must be provided at the time of check in. IE: a Dive Card.

sunny regards,

shully

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 44 lbs?

Ia orana

After the Xtieth post with the same question

I have pulled " My Einstein Mathematics one on one for idiots" and have found ( right after e=Mc2 ):

Each passenger ( even those with a split personnality ) get 2 pieces of 23 Kg read 44 LBS ) each That's all.

=> No 44 bags of 1 Lbs or the wife with 5 bags of 2 lbs + the make up bag and the camera bag with the fins in another bag etc,....

Hope this Finally clarifies everything. Will start charging for the extra strength Excedrin if the posts continue.

By the way 2 x 44lbs per person is Waaaaaaaayyy more luggage than you will need on the islands.

meherio

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 44 lbs?

Leave it up to Meherio to really clarify a subject!

Oh boy...............I do however have to agree, unless you are carrying a load of gifts with you 44lbs of very lightweight clothing in the lightest weight duffel bag you can buy is plenty of stuff to take. My personal bag has never weighed more then the weight allowance.

Regards BO

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 44 lbs?

Ia orana

Excess baggage comes in increment of $ 75.. For more information consult Air Tahiti nui and Air Tahiti websites or call 1 877- Tahiti N.

Food for thought there

meherio

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 44 lbs?

Hey,

Just to clarify the checked bags for Air Tahiti Nui - the web says two bags can be checked per person and the maximum per piece is 50 pounds. So if you really want to push it, it seems that one could check 100 pounds of luggage. Yikes!

While that may be tseem like too much going, remember a certain amount of poundage will be from liquor in my bag. On the return, I'll replace the weight withgifts and souvenirs.

But even as a classic overpacker, that is a lot of weight and I am sure to fall much below. But I'm happy for the two pieces, as I would rather split the weight between two bags -- easier for me to handle rather than one big heavy one.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 44 lbs?

Hi Kitty

you will be sorry if you overpack since you are doing some moving around. Really try not to. Suggestion for light weight luggage.......Heys Duffelbags..... 20inch, lots of seperate compartmentsm wheels, handle and a seperate hardcase bottom for the bottles:).

Real easy to handle 2 of those should do. They are not expensive, well made, easy to identify pink, orange,green.

Bag by itself weighs very little.

Regards

BO

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 44 lbs?

Bo, I still have plans to get one of those Duffelbags for this trip. Maybe bright pink.

I think my Atlantic suitcase that I got as a wedding present weighs about 15 pounds by itself.