We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

electric converter needed????

Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
electric converter needed????

We will be staying @ the Bora Bora Pearl & La Taha - we are from the US - does anyone know if we will need a electrical converter to plug in our IPOD??

Thanks

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: electric converter needed????

Always best to bring a set of converters from your local travel store. They are very inexpensive. Some resorts have them but they run out. Some resorts have 110V some don't.

sunny regards,

shully

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: electric converter needed????

Hi Aztecgirl

Check all the electrical things you are bringing. It they say 110V-240V you only need to bring an adaptor plug and not a converter.

Regards BO

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: electric converter needed????

Hi all,

Most iPods are dual voltage -- check as recommended. What what you will need even if will work in 220/240 volt is an adapter for the plug, from the two flat prongs to the two round prongs - which I believe is the outlet configuration in FP.

Can one of you experts confirm that the outlets are like the French ones - two round prongs or two round with a flat for the grounded plugs?

Thanks,

nancy

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: electric converter needed????

Hi Kitty

yes you are correct.

Regards BO

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: electric converter needed????

We stayed at the Bora Bora Pearl and the Sheraton in Moorea, and we had bought a whole converter set which we never opened and returned when we got back to the states. IPODs, cameras, laptop, and phones charged just fine.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: electric converter needed????

Ia orana

Wherever I go, i always carry an international converter pug just in case

My recent trip aboard the Haumana offered both voltage albeit the 110 v was supposed to be for razor only. My phone being a Razor, no worries ! It worked fine.

Meherio

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: electric converter needed????

Meherio, you are too funny!

The key thing to remember is the difference between a convertor/transformer and an adaptor. Many times newbies to international travel get these confused.

Convertor/transformers do exactly what the name implies -- convert/transform the voltage up or down, depending on where you go. But the reality is these days many appliances (such as camera charges, iPods, phones) work on dual voltage and cycles. If that is the case (and easy to determine by looking at the charger cord or documentation) then all that's needed is a plug adaptor. Those do nothing with the current that's coming from the wall to the appliance -- except allow yourself to plug it into whatever the wall plug looks like.

On my first international trip, I thought the plug adaptor also served as a transformer (some newer models do but at that time no) and so I plugged my 110 v hairdryer with the adaptor into the wall in a small hotel in a small town in France. I blew the circuit in the entire hotel!

n

Darien, CT
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: electric converter needed????

Stayed at both Bora Bora Pearl, and Le Taha'a. At the BBPB, they gave us a converter for the room, and for Le Taha'a, they had one already in the room. We brought ours, and used it in addition to the other, as we brought laptop, ipods, camera, and bose headphones - all needed charging at one point or the other.

Enjoy, and have a great time.

Say Hi to Louise, and Laura at BBPB, and Patrick in Le Taha'a. All very helpful.

Jim

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: electric converter needed????

Ia orana

Best to invest once and for all in an international converter set to be also used on future travel ( This forums caters more to travellers than tourists I feel.

Also consider purchasing one extra battery for your camera so you can have one charging while you are enjoying your camera.

My last trip was spent switching cameras and battereis to ensure a constant availability just in case....

meherio

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: electric converter needed????

Here is a link to the plug adaptor you can get at Radio Shack for $2.99, which fits the FP outlets:

www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp…