We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bora bora verses carribean?

Mifflinburg...
Level Contributor
210 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
bora bora verses carribean?

Just a question i been only to punta cana once and no where else over seas..but the question is the one biggest thing that captured me to this place is the secluded resorts mostly small one with single huts for rooms not those hotel sites which make it different. So does any one know other than tahitti can you find a resort with same simalarity other than scenic.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bora bora verses carribean?

Star, I'll be brutally honest with you since it's what you deserve. Rest assured I'm also speaking from experience and a passionate love for the south pacific which has spanned over 27 years. The south pacific totally blows away the Caribbean. Better islands, people, atmosphere, it's no contest. You will find resorts in the pacific whether it be Tahiti, Fiji, Samoa, the Cook Islands or Tonga that all have single hut rooms. No one loved Bora Bora more than I and I have spent more time there than most on here. 80 days total and that figure would be much higher had the place not gone rich and famous. I have not seen a more dramatically stunning place but today it's clogged with resorts and horrifically overpriced. Just from what you are saying I feel you might find the lesser known islands of F.P. a better choice or some places in Fiji. Many resorts in Fiji often occupy their own island and sometimes also have a small amount of rooms. Private message me if you want more in depth info. Pub

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bora bora verses carribean?

Well, if you're just looking for palm trees & sand, then any tropical spot will do, I guess.

However, as a fellow North American, the ambiance, scenery and overall vibe of the South Pacific is just something you can't experience in the Caribbean.

Of course, S. Pacific is a LOT more expensive, but if you're willing to spend a bit more for an experience like no other, and really exotic to boot, try the S. Pacific. Punta Cana has nice beaches, but there are also thousands of people crawling over each other in the DR, so it doesn't feel very exclusive.

I know people state that Bora Bora has been over-developed, but the Pearl Beach on Bora Bora is on it's own little motu, and very secluded, especially if you take an overwater bungalow. We didn't see the place before it was "developed"...Seemed pretty au-naturel still to us.

I guess it comes down to your budget and how long you're willing to sit on an airplane!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bora bora verses carribean?

We love both the Caribbean and the South Pacific but, yes, they can be as different as night and day. We started going to Mexico after we started going to French Polynesia and were surprised at the number of people and what a difference it made (don't know why we were, but hey... we were young!).

For the Caribbean, we've found that getting more secluded and smaller accommodations means that we're getting into the same price range as going to the South Pacific (we are on the West coast though, so flights will factor in some). The Out Islands of the Bahamas, for example, are fantastically beautiful and isolated. One place that we are looking at going is Belize; there are private, stand-alone cabana type accommodations on their atolls, for example, for a more secluded experience.

You're never going to find one place that is exactly like another though, as I'm sure you know. There is always the cultural differences, the scenic differences, etc.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bora bora verses carribean?

Ia orana,

Veteran of many hours spent in airplanes in my younger days, I had the pleasure to experience many islands (Guadeloupe, Martinique, St Martin, St Barth) before reaching the shores of FP.

Each island had it's own taste, colors, feel, culture to share.

The fact that I have elected FP to be the place where one day I will hang my Hammock for the resat of my life speaks volume on what FP Offered 28 years ago (and the other islands in the carribean did not). Too Many posts on this forum only focus to bora or moorea, a multi island trip through many returns will provide you with hopefully one day Your island.

Cruising might be that special first taste that will give you that Love at first bite.

My two cents worth ( and some )

Meherio

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bora bora verses carribean?

So based on these responses, should I take a peek at other spots than Bora Bora? I was planning the Intercontinental Thalasso for my husband's 50th.......I am open to other thoughts.....trip goals, relaxation, sunning reading and great food and wine!

You all are the experts!

Cheers,

M

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bora bora verses carribean?

MDJDenver~Bora Bora is GREAT location for a special trip. Personally it is not my favorite island in French Polynesia. But I do not regret for one moment having gone there. I do believe everyone needs to see it at least once in their life! It's is truly spectacular. The lagoon is simply amazing. It is outrageously expensive, but worth every penny if your budget can afford it. From the sounds of what you are looking for, I think it would serve you very well.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bora bora verses carribean?

If you truly want isolation, spectacular food, scenery and ambience, I'd look at Tikehau and the Pearl Beach there as well. It is unbelievably beautiful and isolated; the food (we were there 3 years ago, so I would check to see if the same chef is there) was spectacular. Somehow, they had convinced a French Michelin chef to come out there to cook. Nothing but beaches and lagoon and the sky. If you're looking for quiet and peace, this is the place. If you need lots "to do" or want to explore restaurants, it's not a good fit.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
745 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bora bora verses carribean?

First time in FP- definitely go to Bora Bora! It is an amazing place that is worth seeing. If you wanted to add another island, and want something quiet you can head to one of the atolls. I wouldn't miss Bora Bora though.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bora bora verses carribean?

Thanks! For this first trip, I will stick to my original plan of Bora Bora....

Cheers.

10. Re: bora bora verses carribean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 20:16