We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

Washington DC
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

I just booked our RT ticked from LAX to Papeete; I'm pretty pumped! We are now trying to book Papeete/Bora Bora tickets. Then the hotel.

On the way back, we fly from Papeete to LAX, leaving Papeete at 10.30pm. There are several options for flights from BB to Papeete, and I'm trying to figure which one will work best (don't want to be at Papeete airport too long, but also don't want to be rushing or miss the flight to LAX).

There is a flight arriving 5.10pm in Papeete from BB

One arriving at 7pm

One arriving at 8.30

8.30 would be too close, but would 7pm work for a 10.30pm flight to LAX? or do we have to get on the flight arriving at 5.10pm?

Thanks!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

Hi Loko:

Congrats! Glad to hear you have your international flights all booked! Check in time for your international flight home in Papeete is three hours prior to departure. You will need this amount of time. Best to get back by 7pm. This will also give you another flight inbetween in case of delays or cancellation of your Bora Bora to Papeete flight.

sunny regards,

shully

Washington DC
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

On the way in, we have the option of 7am departure from Papeete to BB....next non-stop is not until 12.30 pm departure! It's going to be rough getting up so early in the morning following the long flights from the USA, but we would be missing out on too much of the day if we took the 12.30 flight out, so we're going with the early flight.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

I agree with Shully; the 7 p.m. arrival gets you there in plenty of time, and you don't want to chance the last flight out.

You might want to reconsider taking the later flight to BB. You will be tired from your flight the night before and your room on BB will most likely not be available for check in until afternoon anyway. Sleep in and have a nice breakfast in Papeete!

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

if you do spend the morning in Papeete, check out Le Marche (especially on Sunday). We arrived late on Saturday, and I yanked my hubby out of bed at 4:30 to catch a cab at 5. We did not regret the glimpse into local culture one bit (nor did we regret the delicious pastries we ate while we walked around!).

We took the same flight out and arrived about 8. It was pretty close because the lines to check in were really long. I think you'd be fine with arriving at 7, too. (I've only been once so it's better to listen to the experts in most other cases, though!). On our way to Bora Bora, we took a flight that stopped in Moorea. It was really quick and gave us a nice view of that island. Plus, after the Moorea people got off, we got to move to the left side of the plane at the back! :)

Washington DC
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

thanks for the replies.

You all have me reconsidering the early flight to BB.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

Actually, they have a 10am flight out of Papeete, which would be more reasonable. It has one stop, but it doesn't look like it would be too long; not sure where the stop is; I assume Moorea. I may get on that flight instead.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

Hi,

I think if it were me I'd take the later flight over to Bora Bora, as Barbi mentions your room probably won't be ready anyway and having a good nights sleep and a leisurely breakfast in the am before your flight is the way to go! I would probably take the latest flight back to Papeete possible. Most people either wish to visit Papeete alittle (a city) or stay on the incredible island of Bora Bora and stare at the mountain for as long as they can :) Just me!

sunny regards,

shully

Washington DC
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

Sort of off topic, but sort of related.

We are looking at the IC Thalasso and are Ambassador Club members. I know that there are late check out benefits for AC members. But I can't figure out if there are any early check-in benefits. Does anyone know? Thanks.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

Early check in is based upon availbility. The resort will know by your air schedule when you will be arriving at the airport for the transfer to the resort. If your room is ready they will check you in, if not they will hold your bags while you enjoy the resort until it is :) No worries, it's a great place to wander around with a cocktail or just jump in that azure blue warm water right away!

sunny regards,

shully

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
286 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Papeete to LAX Question (Bora Bora connection)

I've always taken the latest flight I can from Bora. Last few years it's been the 7 or so.

One of the things I like about that evening ATN flight.

Never had a problem. They really don't want to put anybody up, they will get you there.

Have a great trip