We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better time to Travel

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
615 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Better time to Travel

I have been to Bora Bora before in late Sept when it rained quite a bit. I am planning a return trip next year and was wondering if this was unusual or Sept is still a good time to go. How about May? I realize this is a tropical climate and rain can occur anytime, but I wanted some folks input. Thanks.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better time to Travel

Tropical weather can do anything. September is usually drier. May is beautiful! Historical weather and rainfall totals on average can be found at:

www.weatherbase.com

Also, if you type in Bora Bora Weather into the Search box on this page you will find tons of posts on this subject :)

sunny regards,

shully

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better time to Travel

You hit the nail on the head when you said "this is a tropical climate and rain can occur anytime".

It is really impossible to know what the weather will be the exact week you are there. Normally Sept is a pretty good month.

I can tell you from my personal experience the weather does not always match what it is supposed to be

I have been four times in February...in the middle of what is considered the "hot, humid, rainy season"...and I have been one time in May...supposedly a very nice month weather-wise. When I compare the weather during my 5 trips....I actually had more rain in the May trip than in two of my trips in Feb, about the same as one of the trips, and less than one them. It was absolutely less humid and not quite so hot in May as it is in February. But the rain itself was not significantly different.

None of my five trips were ruined by constant rain. Of the 46 days I have spent there, only one full day and two half days were complete washouts. Most of the rain was showers of less than an hour and the clears up, showers again, clears up again, etc.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better time to Travel

I've been once in late December and once in late January when it rained 24X7 for more than 5 days straight. Not good for those on a 1 week'r. Many other trips have been all year around including Jan, Feb and Mar with mixed results.

Sept is frankly one of my more favorite months. Never thought much about it but I guess it's because tourism starts slowing a little in Sept so it's not as crowded and you still have a cooler somewhat dry season.

Sometimes a little rain, but it's a nice change.

Have a great trip.......boraborabob

4. Re: Better time to Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 02:20