We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good or stupid idea ???

New Market, Maryland
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good or stupid idea ???

I am looking to save money while in BB and Moorea this spring and am thinking about buying " the bullet " frozen drink maker that I see advertised on tv for drinks. It makes single serving frozen drinks and the top serves as a cup you can drink from .

Has anyone used this machine ?

Is it of decent quality ? How big is it ?

Is it worth it to carry in my suit case vs cost of drinks ?

Are fresh fruits easily available ?

Is ice available for free at the BB Lagoon resort and the Moorea Pearl , as we will be staying there ?

Thanks !!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good or stupid idea ???

Wow. That's a toughie. I don't know how big it is, but my guess is it's probably bigger than you'd want to pack.

Second thing is, I'm not quite sure if it'd run properly with just an adaptor. You may need a voltage converter for it too.

Next, yes there is a lot of fresh fruit. But...it depends on what kind of fruit you like. Lots of pineapple, mango, papaya, guava...tropical stuff like that. Not lots of strawberries, blueberries, etc. Plus, you're going to have to pack a knife and probably some of those disposable cutting mats to peel and slice the fruit. Also, ice is usually available for free.

Next, it's really a lot easier to just bring some booze (from home or buy it at LAX at duty free), buy great fruit juices at the market once you get there, and make your own drinks "on the rocks" instead of a whipped up frozen one.

But, overall, it is an interesting idea. If you decide to do it, let us know how well it works.

Mifflinburg...
Level Contributor
210 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good or stupid idea ???

i bought the bullet and i love it a little ice some fruit and juice of ur liking and plently of spiced rum,yum yum.it would not take up alot of space either as long as you only take a cup or 2 not all of them.

Novato, California
Level Contributor
58 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good or stupid idea ???

I also bought one because I travel a lot. I love it and it is easy to use. Check at a travel store for an adapter or even at a local Target.Wrap some towels in your suitcase around it for safety when traveling .

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good or stupid idea ???

Wow! See Kelly...it wasn't such a stupid idea afterall! Good to hear it works. I might have to give one a try.

New Market, Maryland
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good or stupid idea ???

Thanks so much for the input !!! I am going to bid on one on ebay today - I figure it can't hurt to buy it.

When we travel to the islands , we always stay at all-inclusives, so this is not a problem, but in BB, and if we go to Hawaii one day it will come in handy.

When you used the bullet did you use it in BB ?

What adapter did you use ? We have a converter kit we have used in Europe and there are different plugs we can interchange, but I am not sure which one to bring for the bullet .

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good or stupid idea ???

The adaptor is the same one you use for most of Europe....the one with the 2 round prongs. You may or may not need the converter. You'll have to read the item when you get it to see if it will run on a variety of voltages or not.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a good or stupid idea ???

Please make sure that your machine is compatible with 220v electricity. If it says it is 110v-120v only, you will need to bring a voltage converter as well as a plug adaptor; otherwise, you will FRY the appliance the first time you plug it in in FP, which has 220v current.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a good or stupid idea ???

Hi Kelly

FYI...if all of this becomes too complicated

the Pearl in Moorea is within walking distance of shops and restaurants. You can buy very good local fruitjuices and the Resort I am sure will give you crushed ice without charge. Also don't forget there is Tahiti drink. A wonderful premix of alcohol and fruit juice. Same goes for Bora Bora. The BBLR has a boat that takes you straight across the Lagoon into Vaitape where you have a couple of supermarkets within a few minutes walk from the nautical base.

Regards Bo

New Market, Maryland
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a good or stupid idea ???

Thanks for another response BO !

What does this Tahiti drink taste like ? What kind of alcohol is in it ?

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this a good or stupid idea ???

It's local fruit juice with Rum.......Potent stuff........quite good. A few of us had our experience with it:)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g311415-i869-k1869…

Regards Bo