We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

vancouver
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

Hi

I've seen some posts saying Mastercard isn't widely accepted but other posts saying it is.

It'd be useful to have a definitive answer as we only have mastercard, not Visa, therefore its vitally important to us to know if we can use them or not over there.

(We'll be staying in the Pearl in Moorea and Mofitel Motu in BB)

Also everybody says get some FP franks at the airport when you arrive - but if there are a few hundred people on the plane all wanting to exchange money, aren't there huge queues?

TIA

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

I've had no probem at all using MC or Visa. From what I understand American Express is less widely accepted there. But I have never tried to use it.

You should alert your card company before you leave that you will be using it outside the country.

There are some smaller shops, restaurants, tour companies that do not accept credit cards at all...and some stores have a minimum required purchase (usually around $25-30) to accept credit cards. So you will likely need at least some cash.

And no, there are not hundreds of people exchanging money. The longest I have ever waited was 10-12 minutes. Usually there are 3-4 maybe up to 10-12 people in line. It moves rather quickly.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

Ditto to Patti's post above! :)

sunny regards,

shully

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

I didnt have any problems when i was there using my Visa or Mastercard. I remember that the exchange rate at LAX was better than the rate in Tahiti. Not saying that is how it always is but i went with about $1,500 US that i exchanged at LAX and i remember i had to pull out more on my card at Hotel while in Bora Bora and the exchange rate was better at LAX.

i Also brought travelers checks which the Hotel also accepted. If you cant tell by now - YES i spent alot more money than i expected. But it was a once and a lifetime chance and i wouldnt take it back for anything!

I chuckled when i say Vegas Patti's comment about a minimum of $25-$30 to use card. I dont think there is anything in the convenience stores for less than that. :-)

I think even the Sun Tan Oil we bought was $25 for the bottle.

I third - Definately call your card company and alert them you will be traveling out of country. They are likely to decline if you dont.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

I didnt have any problems when i was there using my Visa or Mastercard. I remember that the exchange rate at LAX was better than the rate in Tahiti. Not saying that is how it always is but i went with about $1,500 US that i exchanged at LAX and i remember i had to pull out more on my card at Hotel while in Bora Bora and the exchange rate was better at LAX.

i Also brought travelers checks which the Hotel also accepted. If you cant tell by now - YES i spent alot more money than i expected. But it was a once and a lifetime chance and i wouldnt take it back for anything!

I chuckled when i say Vegas Patti's comment about a minimum of $25-$30 to use card. I dont think there is anything in the convenience stores for less than that. :-)

I third - Definately call your card company and alert them you will be traveling out of country. They are likely to decline if you dont.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

I have only used Mastercard from Capital One in FP and never had any problems paying in Sofitel Moorea, Sofitel Bora-Bora Motu, restaurants in BB, PPT airport, and other locations. Not a single problem anywhere, unlike when I tried to use a Visa check/debit card to withdraw money from an ATM (failed after several attempts).

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

Don't worry about the line at the Airport Bank. In May, I was the last one through customs and into the terminal and the line for exchanging money was only 4 people deep. I was out of there in no time. Also, my Visa and MC worked fine.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

I too exclusively use my Capitol One Mastercard and have never had a problem. It's Am Ex that most places (except resorts) won't take.

You generally will get a much better exchange rate in PPT at the airport bank (open for all incoming flights, and I've never seen a long line) than exchanging money at LAX or anywhere in the USA. There have been a few exceptions when the exchange companies have made computer errors on the rate, but that hasn't happened in years.

Have your passport handy at the airport bank -- they need to see it. It's never taken us more than 5 minutes to get through the exchange process there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
67 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

we just got back from Moorea and Bora Bora last month and we didnt have any issues using mastercard or visa. Both cards were widely accepted where we went,, and almost all hotels/resort take AMEX.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
402 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Acceptance of mastercard Moorea/Bora Bora (conflicting posts

We changed about $500 - $300 at the PPT airport, and $200 in travelers checks at Manava Suite Resort, b/c the bank at the airport wouldn't change travelers checks. Turns out, we probably only needed to change $100, because the tours would all accept US$, and the exchange rate for paying in USD directly for the tours was better than what we ended up paying by exchanging money at PPT and the hotel, and then paying in XPF. All the restaurants we went to, including a few smaller cafes, accepted Mastercard. We used cash at a couple of grocery stores, but used Mastercard for everything except the tours, which we paid in XPF b/c we had to spend the money we changed.

The rate at PPT was 75 plus a charge of XPF 500 I believe, and the rate for my travelers checks at the Manava Suite Resort was 70, with no charge, when the actual current exchange rate is around 80. Neither was a good deal, obviously. I would invest in a Capitol One card if I were you (to save the 3% conversion charge), or at least just use your credit card as much as you can.