We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange in Tahiti

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Currency exchange in Tahiti

Hi, I would like to know if currency can be exchanged at the airport in Tahiti and if it's better do to so there or in the States. We will be arriving very early in the morning with not much time between flights. I am concerned if the exchange service will be available at that time of day. I only ask because experience has taught us that most places are on "island time" around the world.

Thank you!

Edited: 01 April 2010, 23:25
Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange in Tahiti

Exchange your currency after you arrive in Tahiti. The rate in

the US airports will much lower. The airport in Tahiti has

ATM machines that work most of the time and the bank in the airport in Tahiti will be open when you arrive. If you need to exchange more US into local XFP go to the bank on the island you are going to and be sure to take your passport to the bank with you.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange in Tahiti

Hi there:

The money exchange is open for all international arriving flights. If you don't have time to exchange currency, then just go to the bank on the first island as Hamara suggests (and bring your passport).

sunny regards,

shully

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange in Tahiti

I agree with the above posts, and also want to add that you will get a much better rate in Tahiti than if you try to change your money in the USA. Travelers checks also get a higher currency exchange rate by about one cfp per $1. The flat rate exchange fee on any transaction (regardless of amount) is lower in the airport bank than in the banks in town.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange in Tahiti

Great, thanks everyone. I'll exchange it when I arrive in Papeete so as to get a better rate. :)

Indiana
Level Contributor
796 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange in Tahiti

I exchanged some money at the bank in the US at 79 CFP. There is an ATM right around the corner from the McDonalds at the airport. It gave me an exchange rate of 83 CFP (my bank that is) and is availabel 24/7. My Mastercard purchases were at 88 and my AMEX at 85. Hope this helps.

6. Re: Currency exchange in Tahiti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2010, 07:16