We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater camera

Jersey City, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Underwater camera

Going for our honeymoon in July to Moorea and Bora Bora. We love the water and cannot wait to explore.

Can anyone recommend a brand/model underwater camera? I am looking to spend no more than $250.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater camera

Iaorana! I use an Olympus 770SW. It goes down to 33ft (10 meters) and can take video clips. Click on my Profile and work your way to "contributions", Photos and Videos. I took those with the camera. The newer version is the 1070SW. Olympus also makes a version that only goes to 6ft. Hope this helps. Canon makes a similar camera now but it's still a little pricey.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
240 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater camera

I have the Canon D10 and I LOVE it. I have seen it listed anywhere from 250-350 so not sure...maybe check the web to look for good deals.

Easy to use, great features. At least check it out.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater camera

I just purchased the Canon D10 as well, and I love it! It's a bit bulky compared to some of the others, but I think the photo quality is better than its competitors. It's very easy to use underwater and has a large screen and large buttons. I think I paid about $300 for it.

Indiana
Level Contributor
796 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underwater camera

Canon PowerShot D10 ..THE BEST

I bought a couple of cameras in this price range to try. The pictures speak for themselves. I will send you a PM with a link to my family photos. They were out of this world.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underwater camera

You may to look on www.scubaboard.com. They have a very active forum on photography.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
249 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underwater camera

We have the Sanyo Xacti and LOVE it. Indoor photos have much to be desired but outdoor, underwater and the video footage is amazing. We got it at Costco for $250 a couple years ago. Now they make the HD one which is even better! Good luck!!!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Underwater camera

I'm in the Canon D-10 camp...just got back from 9 days in St. John and the camera - in and out of the water - took exceptional shots. Underwater video quality is excellent!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
877 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underwater camera

Another D-10 fan. It's great for both above and below water. I previously had an Olympus sp700 with underwater housing and the D10 is far superior for ease of use and photo quality. Price was under $250 also.

link to recent D-10 photos -

…google.com/kauai3.14/KauaiApril2010…

9. Re: Underwater camera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 08:31