We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

san diego
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

Just wondering if it's better to deal (get a better price) on activities such as jet skiing, atv touring, feed the rays/sharks. etc...with the actual operators, instead of booking any of these activities through the hotel?

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

There should be no difference in price. The Hotels have a contract with most of the activity operators and if caught undercutting that price they loose their contract. If it is a operator that does not have a contract make sure that the equipment they use is safe and they have insurance.

Regards Bo

KAP
USA
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

That might be true for tours that hve contracts withthe hotels, but you can certainly save a ton of money by booking directly with other operators.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

It does help sometimes to book directly.... you can negotiate a better deal. For example I booked my transfers, car rental and snorkel/lunch trip all with Alberts on Moorea and was able to get a cheaper prices on all three.

Have fun!

Lorio

Indiana
Level Contributor
835 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

There is absolutely a difference! Resorts mark up tours by 20%+. Every tour operator I dealt with told me the same thing and the same percentage. I never experienced this kind of markup prior to my trip to BB in March.

EVERY tour operator I called directly made me promise not to tell the Resort or my Travel Agent I was getting a direct quote. If they quote direct to you, they claim they will be punished by the resorts and travel agents. It was so bad that one tour operator was forced to retract his quote to me once the resort contacted him. When I showed up for one of my tours, the operator told me the hotel called and all of a sudden there was a “surcharge” on my tour. I showed them the email quote and we worked it out, but I felt bad for the tour operator. I would post the emails, but it would probably harm the tour operator if a resort or TA saw the names online.

With tour operators I was able to negotiate price. Through the hotel there was a fixed menu and no flexibility. The one guy who was forced to retract his quote, told me to make reservations for two adults via the resort and then he took my two teenagers at no extra cost. That was very nice of him to make up for the increased price.

Just as the best resort deals are reserved for TAs in BB, the tours are also in a box.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 11:37
san diego
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

Thanks so much for the info, and it's just like I figured.....The hotels are out to make a buck also......How can I get e-mail addresses for the operators?...thanks in advance.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

Business 101:

You try and book your tour directly from the operator. There are 2 of you and the tour operator charges you $100 bucks each for the 4 hour tour. The tour operator goes home with $200 bucks for his days work.

As you skim around the lagoon you notice another outrigger filled with 8 people who booked their tour through the hotel. Each person was charged $100 bucks by the hotel and the hotel kept 20% off the top. At the end of the day the tour operator goes home with $640 for his days work.

Now which tour operator went home the happiest?

You are blaming the hotels but the fact his every tour operator would love to have the relationship with the hotels. The only way this would work differently is for every tour operator to not accept bookings directly from the hotels and we all know that will never happen.

This is all about who controls the goods and in this case it's the hotels. The tour operators want what the hotels have, direct input to the goods. Frankly if I was the hotel owner I would do the same thing .......

Just knoe every tour operator that wings it on his or her own would love to have what the hotel tour operators have, more goods (you), they might complain about it but the fact is they want it.

san diego
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

I'm sure your right about every tour operator wanting to connect with the hotels....then they have a captive audience, with hotel guests sent their way every day.....I just figure that the hotel is making enough off of me (and the other guests) that I shouldn't have to pay 20% more for an activity just because the hotel makes one phone call (a call or e-mail). that I could make myself. ....We've never been to Tahiti, and I know it's very expensive, I see nothing wrong with trying to save a few bucks if possible.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

FYI,

Normally the price you pay at the hotel and the price you pay directly are the same, this is the contractual deal the operators have with the hotels. The difference is the operators don't need to kick back 20% to the hotel thus they take more home.

I typically try to book direct, not because I will save money because you normally won't, I do it because it helps the operator net more money to take home.

most of the operators I book directly still do business with the hotels and they are happy to have that relationship with the hotels.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 18:17
9. Re: For activies in Tahiti is it better to deal with operators?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2010, 05:17