We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

Bris Vegas
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

I'm running out of time to book our dream holiday in October.

Confused with all the options? You bet I am.

Here is what our interests are....access to the market, good snorkelling and ( I hate to say it) no too many screaming kids....!

I've short listed down to three with OWB.....

1. Pearl

2. Sofitel (Private Island)

3. Intercontinental Le Moana

Can anyone help with the most up to date recommendation....!!!

Thanks in advance.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

What islands are you planning on visiting? Both Moorea and BB?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

I can only speak for the BB Pearl and we loved it. The snorkeling around the bungalows is good because they have a coral nursery, which attracts the fish. Many other resorts have sand only so no fish. There were no running, screaming kids around when we were there. You have a great view of Mount Pahi and Otemanu.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

I was stuck between the Pearl and the Sofitel private island for awhile. They both have shuttles to the mainland and amazing views of the island and Mt. Otemanu. We chose the Sofitel, and what stuck out for us the most was that no kids under 12 are allowed to stay there, the snorkeling is AMAZING (the coral garden around back is the one all the tours go to), it's smaller so relative privacy, and the shuttle to the mainland is both free and on demand. I believe the Pearl's shuttle drops you off over by Viatape but then you have to catch the 2nd part of the shuttle (bus) to actually drive into town. With the Sofitel, you are dropped off at their sister property (where you can use the pool and all restaraunts/bars), and you are within easy walking distance of Matira Beach and shops and restaraunts there. At least that's what I've read - we haven't gone yet!

That being said, the Sofitel does not have it's own pool or restaraunt open past breakfast on the motu and you have to take the shuttle over to access this. The Pearl has both on it's motu.

It's a hard decision I know!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

If your main criteria are good snorkeling, access to markets, and no kids, then the Sofitel Private Island seems the best choice. It easily fits all 3.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

You will not find many kids at the Pearl in Bora Bora if any at that time of the year. The boat shuttle takes you on a regular schedule directly to the nautical base in Vaitape at no cost. From there you can walk to shops, snacks and a little souvenir market. Restaurants will also pick you up at no charge from there at dinner time and take you back. The beach is beautiful, you can take a kayak out for good snorkeling, the infinity pool is just beautiful and the resort is in immaculate shape.Very nice decor and ambience.

Regards BO

Bris Vegas
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

Thanks friends!!!

We're down to two now....Pearl vs. Le Moana.

Of these two....which has the better views of Mt O?????

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

Here are some links to views from each, just copy and paste into a new window if they don't work.

Pearl view:

kiwicollection.com/hotel-detail/bora-bora-pe…

Le Moana view:

roomswithgreatviews.com/intercontinental-bor…

And btw, I vote for the Pearl! I think it's beautiful, love their pool and gardens.

Edited: 07 August 2010, 01:23
Bris Vegas
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

Hi friends..........thanks so much for your collective wisdom.

We saw our Travel agent this afternoon and the hours of research, talking to people on this forum and talking it over together over heaps of coffees have paid off.....we have finally made our decision.

Its yet to be confirmed, (fingers crossed) but we've paid a deposit to take advantage of the free American breakfasts, pay 4 nights and get one free option at the......wait for it........

..............................drum roll......................

...............................PEARL RESORT.................!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're flying Emirates from Brisbane - Auckland - Manana suite resort, Papeete - Bora Bora (5 nights) and return....

Papeete x 2 nights + OWB x 5 (with American breakfasts) = $4,412 (AUS)

Total = $8,180 (AUS)

We're going to experience one of the worlds greatest locations, we'll have great swimming, great snorkelling and meeting lots of new people.

I couldn't think of a better place with our 25th wedding anniversary and renew our wedding vows...!!!!

Edited: 07 August 2010, 08:17
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

Have fun! I'll be celebrating my anniversary at the Sofitel Motu in early October so maybe we'll be there at the same time :)

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help...which resort would you choose.....?

You will just love the Pearl Resort..........wonderful beach, easy access to town, great friendly staff and the infinity pool.

Great choice.........and congratulations by the way.I just love the ambience there.

Regards Bo

Edited: 07 August 2010, 22:01