We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

We are planning our honeymoon in December 2010. We are planning 3 nights moorea, 5 nights bora bora and 2 nights tahiti. The travel agent has quoted us two different quotes and we cant decide which one: We are either looking at a package that includes hilton moorea (garden room) and the hilton bora bora ( owb) and the manava suites tahiti OR Intercontinental moorea (garden), intercontinental thalaso bora bora (owb) and intercontinental tahiti. The hilton does not offer any packages with bft over the xmas time but the intercontinental does. Its about $1000 more to stay with the intercontinental but includes some food. We are sooooo confused! HELP!!!!! Can anyone tell us which resorts are better??

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

Is your offer for garden bungalows on Moorea, or garden rooms? I've read reviews from people who have stayed in the garden rooms, and those are just regular hotel rooms with some tahitian decor - not their own luxury bungalow set in the gardens. So make sure which it is so that you get what you want!

I would also read reviews of each resort here on the site and see if either stands out for you. From what I've read, OWBs at Bora Bora Hilton mainly have views of the open ocean, but good snorkeling, whereas the Thalasso OWBs (depending on room category) have good views of the main island, lagoon, and Mt. Otemanu, but not good snorkeling (no coral because of the newish construction). Personally, I prefer the room decor of the Hilton, but a lot of people like the contemporary clean look and huge bungalows of the Thalasso. Check some pictures out of each property, they're all nice.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

They all hoave plus & minuses.

Tahiti - Best hotel is the IC. Might not be has new as some but it is a 'resort' whereas some of the others are not. The IC has the best view on Tahiti and the best pool area. One of the best floor shows is at the IC.

Moorea - Best property is the Hilton my opinion. I've stayed at all of the 4 major properties on Moorea so I have first hand information. The new garden bungalows at the Hilton are very nice and now come with a small pool, they just renovated the entire property. Best snorkeling of the big 4 properties.

The IC on Moorea just had a facelift as well and there are some smokin deals right now for this property. The gardens are very nice and the pool just re-done.

Bora Bora - The choice here depends on your plans. If snorkeling is the big deal you will want to go to the Sofitel Motu or the Hilton Nui. Though the snorkeling is better at these to nice properties they don't compete with some of the other resorts for amedities though the Sofitel Motu does have one of the very best views at Mt. Otemanu, probably the best on Bora Bora except for the Pearl Beach. If you worried about the food budget the IC Moana has the best location for shops and cafes.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

We returned a few weeks ago and stayed the first night at the Manava and then 5 at an OWB at the Hilton on Moorea before our cruise.

The first night stay at Manava was fine but as we arrived in the evening it was no until the light of day that we could see the resort. For one night, before a transfer to another island, any clean bed is fine. I am glad we did not pay extra for a garden or ocean view room as there was nothing to see. I would only spend that first night on Tahiti and then move on.

The Hilton on Moorea OWB as spectacular. If you want to snorkel I don't know if you will find any place better. You can look for my trip report (5 parts). Many have said that the snorkeling is better in Moorea then in Bora Bora but we were on the cruise in Bora Bora, not at a resort. I can't see staying in anything except for an OWB at the Hilton in Moorea.

If you get the HHonors Amex card then you are given Gold status at no charge for the first year. Gold gets you a free continental breakfast for two at th Hilton. We also had a panoramic OWB that they told us was because we were Gold, but who knows.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

Hi Lucky,

Tiki's advice is pretty solid; he's been to Tahiti more times than I've visited my local conveninece store! Medic brought up a good point about getting some perks if you're a HHonors member with the HHonors AmEx card. So I'd like to point out that the IC hotel chain has something called Ambassador membership that will give you benefits and perks as well. You simply pay $150 for Ambassador membership (which is a separate club from their frequent-stayer program called Priority Club). The Ambassador membership isn't a credit card such as the HHonors AmEx, but just a separate club that you buy into. But it gets you things like, upgrades to a higher category room from the one you booked (which is a HUGE savings in Tahiti based on what a room upgrade would cost you), complimentary bottles of water each day, free movie rentals in your room, a gift upon checkout (we got 2 embroidered IC Thalasso hotel towels), and late checkout, to name a few. (review the Ambassador website for a full list of perks).

It's also nice to have these perks when traveling for business or for personal reasons even when not traveling to Tahiti and her islands.

To renew your membership after that is just $100 anually.

For more questions, feel free to PM me if you think of anything. I would recommend the IC hotel chain. My personal fave ... ;)

-Jen

Adelaide
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

Thanks for all you wonderful advice! It is very helpful!! I think im liking the sounds of the Hilton a little bit more! In Moorea we are looking at one of the deluxe garden bungalows with pool. Does he Hilton chain offer dinner shows and extras for honeymooners? I know the IC does but couldnt see anything on Hiltons websites. Last quesion: If we decide to book everything ourselves is it hard to arrange transfers to your resort from the airports? Again, thans so much for all your help!!

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

The Hilton Moorea has a show, I think twice a week, email the resort and ask. The Manager at the Moorea Hilton is a great guy who makes sure the guest are well taken care of.

Some resorts have extras for honeymooners like a bottle of wine when you arrive or a credit for a message together.

Transfers can best be handled by emailing the resort and having them make the arrangements.

Edited: 22 August 2010, 15:38
Indiana
Level Contributor
802 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

After doing my own research, like you, we selected IC. My review is below. IMHO, absolutely the right choice. In both BB and Tahiti, they were outstanding.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g311415-d596…

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

The Hiltons have good deals right now and are both quite nice resorts. As for the Manava you have a beautiful view of Moorea.

Regards Bo

KAP
USA
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

The cost of the Ambassador membership was recently incresaes to $200. Still very much worth the money, IMO.

10. Re: resort help please: hilton chain or intercontinental chain!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 06:25