We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Any pointers on what would make you choose one resort over the other? Planning an anniversary trip there next year and can't choose...really looking for just a wonderful bungalow (they both have) some good food and maybe a cool bar / lounge to go to at the resort after dinner for drinks or something...

Am leaning towards the 4Seasons - but so many good reviews on the St Regis makes me wonder what they have that tops the 4Seasons.

Thanks

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

I would probably discount many if not all of the St Regis reviews that happen to mention the same travel company....read through them and it will become quite apparent. They seem to be doing "something" to "influence" their customers to give a good review in return for "something". I will just leave it at that. I (and several others) do not believe all of those reviews are honest, uninfluenced, unbiased reviews.

2. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 October 2013, 02:05
London - UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Hi,

I've picked the Hilton Bora Bora as whilst it doesn't have a view of the mountain from the villas it is on a more natural island with a more natural beach base.

To be the St Regis and the 4S seem to be on artificial reefs and also seem really close to each other and the third one which is next to them so whilst they both look nice I wanted more of a natural local feel which I think I'm getting.

However, when I was looking at them both my preference was the 4S as the St Regis seems to have negative reviews on service and also I hear it has become a little snobbish since being on that film..

seattle
Level Contributor
164 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

This message is for LasVegasPatti, the destination expert. I have a quick question. I thought that there were moderators on trip advisor who take a look at the reviews of the hotels and then decide whether or not they should be posted? I was planning on taking my wife on an incentive trip to the St Regis (had choices of other destinations also) and wanted to read some "real" reviews about the resort, not a plug for the travel agency that seems to be mentioned over and over again. I've used trip advisor to research destinations and hotels all over the world and have never seen something like this before.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

mscoug....I agree with you. I was under the assumption they checked them out too. I have never seen anything like this either. It is completely absurd!...not to mention unethical!

I (and a few others) have brought this issue to Trip Advisor's attention several times and they say 2 things...one is that they will look into it....and the other is that they don't want to tell people they can't mention the agency they used. Well...I can certainly understand that...because that can be a helpful tool for people researching trips. BUT...in this case it is much much more than a just couple people mentioning the agency they used because they provided good service.

There is seriously something wrong with what is going on with the number of reviews that mention the same company. They out number ALL the other companies mentioned combined! In the last year, just for the St Regis, they were mentioned in 57 of 119 reviews (almost half of all the reviews!!!) and yet ONLY 4 times other companies were mentioned! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see there is something quite fishy going on. Typically an agency is mentioned once or twice in every 40 or 50 reviews. And yet this company gets mentioned in almost 50% of the reviews???? AND...almost all of those reviews are by first time posters!

Now...don't get me wrong....The St Regis is a fine hotel, and I certainly wouldn't worry about going there...but honestly, if you are choosing a hotel based on reviews and this certain company is mentioned in the review, I would personally discredit that review. Focus on the other reviews that don't mention them and you will probably get a more unbiased, uninfluenced one.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Andrew

Since you have been to 4S before can you shed some more light on the resort / dining options / atmosphere etc?

As I said, I am leaning more towards 4S and have stayed at their resorts elsewhere - obviously it is an important trip and I am trying to get as much detailed info as possible rather than just the info posted on the hotel websites.

Thanks

Jemma

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Hi there,

I am happy to give you my thoughts on both resorts as I have stayed at them multiple times.

The Four Seasons:

The decor in the bungalows is decidedly Tahitian. Teak woods and tropical feel. The decks are quite large ie: sliders off the livingroom with a covered table/chairs just outside, sliders in the livingroom to the deck with lounge chairs outside, the bathroom is inbetween lvgrm/bdrm and the bathtub sits next to the window that you can open all the way so it feels like you are sort of on the deck....delightful open feeling!!! The service is top notch, the views are beautiful of Mt Otemanu just across the lagoon, the horizon pool has this stunning view as well, the spa is wonderful (separate mens and womens areas and you can use the spa facilities ie: whirlpools, fancy showers, etc without a fee...of course charges apply for treatments. There are waterways that run throughout the resort and the onsite marine biologist gives free tours on most days. It is interesting to learn about the lagoon. The water under most of the bungalows that are further out on the pontoon is quite deep for the most part. There really isn't much coral at either of the resorts you mention, but the waters are azure blue. The Beach view overwaters face back toward the resort/pool etc and are in the shallowest water. They have a variety of restaurants to choose from and boat service to/from the main island a few times a day. The daytime boat is now free (at this writing) and they charge in the evenings for the transport to/from Vaitape (about $64 roundtrip for two) if you wish to go out for dinner (most of the restaurants will pick you up at the dock/bring you back to the dock for free.

St Regis:

This is also a five star property. The bungalows are extremely well appointed and the bathrooms are gigantic! They have butler service, the Jean Georges restaurant is very nice, a sushi restaurant, free limited boat service to/from the main village of Vaitape (at this writing), a lagoonarium where you can snorkel about and see lots of fish etc...the spa is great, the staff are nice, and the overall feel of the bungalows have abit of an asian flair decorator wise. Indeed this is a beautifiul property with fantastic views of Mt Otemanu as well.

Both properties are on the same side of the island and in fairly close proximity to one another. Either is a great choice. I would encourage you to seek out photographs of them to see the decor/ambience etc...as you will spend a great deal of time in your overwater accomodations, you should be in an atmosphere that suits your taste.

Hope this is helpful!

sunny regards,

shully

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Shully

Thank you so much for such detail. If we go ahead with 4S you say the St Regis is in close proximity does that mean it is relatively easy to go to the other resort for dinner if desired or are the only alternatives to hotel dining to get the shuttle to main island ?

Thanks to all for answering all my questions - am really hoping to make it a special anniversary trip and have plenty of time to make sure I pick the right accommodation.

Lucky you to have been to both resorts many times - it truly looks magical and I can't wait !

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

Hi Jermita :)

Happy to answer your question....

As these resorts are quite exclusive they don't allow one to just pop over for dinner. You can certainly make a restaurant reservation at Jean Georges in advance of your arrival (via the concierge), however the boat transport between the two is expensive and is organized by the resort. They will quote you the current price...it changes so I don't want to give you incorrect pricing. Don't bother trying to do the boat transfer on your own...it will be a very expensive endeavor. Just let the concierge help.

Might I suggest the best restaurant in all of Bora Bora (in my personal estimation)? It is called Villa Mahana and it is on the island. The chef is fantastic and it is expensive. It is not on the beach, there is no view, but it is a small romantic chateau like atmosphere. Small portions of wonderful food. Cost varies by what you order of course. You can do ala carte for less than a full 'discovery menu' with multiple courses with wine pairing. There are only about 6 tables and one coveted upstairs private table. The upstairs table books up months in advance. Here is their english website with menu details and pics:

www.villamahana.com/Index%20English.htm

sunny regards,

shully

Edited: 29 June 2011, 17:39
santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to choose between 4Seasons and St Regis ?

post script:

If you go to Villa Mahana...be sure to have some of that fantastic chocolate cake for ME!!! :) I dream of it....

sunny regards,

shully